Power calculations of AC signal

In summary, the formulas for instantaneous power and average power are given by eq1 and eq2, respectively. The peak power is given by eq6.
PhysicsTest
Homework Statement
The voltage across a 10 ohm resistor is v(t) = 170 sin (377t) V. Determine (a) an expression for instantaneous power absorbed by the resistor, (b) the peak power, and (c) the average power.
Relevant Equations
Instantaneous power ##p(t) = v(t) i(t)##
Average power ##p(t)_{avg} = \frac{\int_{t_0}^{t_0+T} p(t)dt} T##
The below are the formulas i have seen from the book, but no particular formula for the peak power
Instantaneous power ##p(t) = v(t) i(t) W## ->eq1
Average power ##p(t)_{avg} = \frac{\int_{t_0}^{t_0+T} p(t)dt} T W## ->eq2
a. Instantaneous power
##v(t) =A\sin(\omega t)## ->eq3
##i(t) = \frac{v(t)} R## -> eq4 R is resistance = 10 Ohm.
Hence the instantaneous power is using eq1
##p(t) = \frac{A^2\sin^2(\omega t)} R = \frac{A^2(1+\cos(2\omega t))} {2R}##W ->eq5 is the answer for part a

b. Peak power
I assume it is not dependent on the variable "t" and it is a constant value. To obtain peak power substitute
##\cos(2\omega t) = 1##. Then the peak power is
##p_{peak} = \frac{A^2} R## -> eq6, but one doubt here is if it is a very complex expression how do i calculate the peak power?

c. Average power
Using eq2
##p_{avg} = \frac{\int_0^{2\pi} A^2(1+\cos(2\omega t))dt} {2R\pi}##
##p_{avg} = \frac{A^2*2\pi + \frac{[\sin(2\omega t)]_0^{2\pi}} {2\omega}} {2R\pi}## The sine term will be 0. Hence the expression reduces to
##p_{avg} = \frac{A^2*2\pi} {2R\pi} = \frac{A^2} R## ->eq7

But peak power and average power are same, I think they should not be same, what is the mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
PhysicsTest said:
a. Instantaneous power
##v(t) =A\sin(\omega t)## ->eq3
##i(t) = \frac{v(t)} R## -> eq4 R is resistance = 10 Ohm.
Hence the instantaneous power is using eq1
##p(t) = \frac{A^2\sin^2(\omega t)} R = \frac{A^2(1+\cos(2\omega t))} {2R}##W ->eq5 is the answer for part a

b. Peak power
I assume it is not dependent on the variable "t" and it is a constant value. To obtain peak power substitute
##\cos(2\omega t) = 1##. Then the peak power is
##p_{peak} = \frac{A^2} R## -> eq6, but one doubt here is if it is a very complex expression how do i calculate the peak power?

c. Average power
Using eq2
##p_{avg} = \frac{A^2*2\pi + \frac{[\sin(2\omega t)]_0^{2\pi}} {2\omega}} {2R\pi}## The sine term will be 0. Hence the expression reduces to
##p_{avg} = \frac{A^2*2\pi} {2R\pi} = \frac{A^2} R## ->eq7

But peak power and average power are same, I think they should not be same, what is the mistake?
Remember ##A## and ##\omega## are given values: ##A## = 170 (presumably volts) and ##\omega## = 377 (presumably rad/s).

For a simple resistor (V and I in phase), there are 3 forms of the power formula:
##P = VI##, ##P = I^2 R## and ##P = \frac {V^2} {R}##

Using the 3rd formula let's you answer part a) straight away.
##P(t) = \frac{A^2\sin^2(\omega t)} R## which you correctly got.
I don’t think you need to simplify further (using the double angle). But I expect you are meant to use the given values for ##A## and ##\omega##, because the question does not use the symbols ##A## and ##\omega##. If I were answering I would simply write:
a) ##P(t) = \frac {V(t)^2}{R} = \frac{170^2\sin^2(377t)} {10} = 2890sin^2(377t)~watts##

The power changes continuously during each cycle. The peak power is simply the maximum value of instantaneous power. Using the part a) answer allows you to answer part b) without any calculation.

For part c), your 1st equation is wrong. You have
But the denominator is ##2RT = 2R(2\pi) = 4R\pi##

Also note, a less messy approach is to move all constant factors outside the integral. Tis gives less cluttered working.

EDIT: Note the period T is in fact ##\frac {2\pi} {\omega}## so integrating from 0 to ##2\pi## s not correct - but ends up giving the correct answer 'by accident'.

Likes PhysicsTest

What is an AC signal?

An AC (alternating current) signal is an electrical signal that periodically changes direction and magnitude. It is commonly used to transmit electricity over long distances and is the type of current that powers most household appliances.

Why is it important to calculate the power of an AC signal?

Calculating the power of an AC signal is important for various reasons. It helps in determining the efficiency of electrical systems, designing electrical circuits, and understanding the behavior of electrical components. It is also necessary for safety reasons, as knowing the power of an AC signal can prevent overloading and potential hazards.

What factors affect the power calculations of an AC signal?

The power calculations of an AC signal are affected by several factors, including the amplitude (peak value) of the signal, the frequency at which the signal oscillates, and the load resistance. The power of an AC signal also depends on the type of circuit it is flowing through, such as a series or parallel circuit.

How do you calculate the power of an AC signal?

The power of an AC signal can be calculated using the formula P = Vrms x Irms, where Vrms is the root mean square (RMS) voltage and Irms is the RMS current. The RMS values can be found by taking the square root of the mean of the squared values of voltage and current over one cycle of the signal.

What are some applications of power calculations of AC signals?

Power calculations of AC signals are used in various applications, such as designing power supply systems, analyzing power consumption in electrical devices, and determining the power output of renewable energy sources. They are also essential in industries where precise control and measurement of power is crucial, such as in manufacturing and telecommunications.