Find the equation of the plane that satisfies the stated conditions.

In summary, the equation of the plane that is tangent to the spheres with radii 2 and 3 and centers at points (2,2,2) and (3,4,5) respectively is parallel to the vector <1,2,3> and contains a point that is the midpoint between the two centers. To find this point, the equations of the spheres can be used to generate another vector parallel to the plane, and a point on the plane can be found by finding the midpoint between the two centers.
faslickit
The plane that contains the line x = -2 + 3t, y = 4 + 2t, z = 3 - t and is perpendicular to the plane x - 2y + z = 5.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I kinda just solved it myself.

All good.

Find the equation of the plane (if you dare) that is tangent to the following spheres:

sphere 1: r=2 center P(2,2,2)

sphere 2: r=3 center Q(3,4,5)

Ok, I know that the plane will be parallel to the vector PQ = <1,2,3>

For the equation of a plane I need a normal vector, and a point on the plane. I know that one of the points on the plane will be one of the points on the sphere (either sphere will do, right?).

The equations for the spheres are:

(x-2)^2 + (y-2)^2 + (z-2)^2=4

and

(x-3)^2 + (y-4)^2 + (z-5)^2=9

What i am thinking now is that i should take the midpoint between the spheres' centers. Use that to find another vector parallel to the plane in question, and then generate a normal vector from that - is this correct thinking?

And from there, i am unsure how to find a point common to the plane and the sphere (either sphere).

I have drawn this out on paper and understand the geometry...

1. What is the equation of a plane?

A plane is a flat, two-dimensional surface that extends infinitely in all directions. The equation of a plane is typically written in the form Ax + By + Cz = D, where A, B, and C are the coefficients of the x, y, and z variables, and D is a constant term.

2. How do you find the equation of a plane?

To find the equation of a plane, you need to know at least three points that lie on the plane. You can then use the coordinates of those points to set up a system of equations and solve for the plane's coefficients. Alternatively, if you know the normal vector of the plane and a point that it passes through, you can use the vector equation of a plane (P = P0 + tV) to find the equation.

3. What conditions are needed to determine the equation of a plane?

To determine the equation of a plane, you need to know either three non-collinear points on the plane or a normal vector and a point that the plane passes through. In addition, if the plane is parallel to one of the coordinate planes (x-y, y-z, or x-z), the equation can be simplified to only include two variables.

4. What is the importance of finding the equation of a plane in science?

Finding the equation of a plane is important in many scientific fields, particularly in physics and engineering. It allows for the representation and manipulation of a flat surface in mathematical models, which can be used to solve real-world problems involving planes, such as calculating the trajectory of a projectile or designing a stable bridge.

5. Can there be multiple equations that satisfy the same conditions?

Yes, there can be infinitely many equations that satisfy the same conditions for a plane. This is because the coefficients in the equation (A, B, and C) can be multiplied by any non-zero constant, and the equation will still represent the same plane. However, all of these equations will have the same solution and represent the same plane geometrically.