What exactly is a tracking cookie ?

• Thread starter The_Absolute
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tracking
In summary, tracking cookies are harmless text files used by ad companies to track your browsing habits and show you targeted ads. They can be deleted without any consequences, but you can also adjust your browser settings to stop accepting them.
The_Absolute
What exactly is a "tracking cookie"?

Almost every time I'm done surfing the web, and I do a virus scan once per day, I get a "tracking cookie". My firewall never really seems to block them either, (norton antivirus 09)

Are tracking cookies really harmful to your computer? It say's that they are low risk, but just what are the darn things? Should they always be removed?

Computer science news on Phys.org

The_Absolute said:
Almost every time I'm done surfing the web, and I do a virus scan once per day, I get a "tracking cookie". My firewall never really seems to block them either, (norton antivirus 09)

Are tracking cookies really harmful to your computer? It say's that they are low risk, but just what are the darn things? Should they always be removed?

It's harmless.

All it is is data that is collected from your search queries and things you visit on the web. Often it's used in situating ads that are personally appealing to you on websites.

For example; An affiliate marketer visits a lot of marketing websites; when he visits Myspace there is a chance that there will be an ad relative to marketing.

They are just a way for ad companies to track you so they can show you ads that they think you're more likely to buy from. When you visit a site they can put text files on your computer, called cookies. Usually the text just has a unique random ID number in it. Many sites use these as a way to keep track of you from visit to visit. For example if you have any sites where you automatically are logged in, cookies are how that site knows you are you. Tracking cookies are just the cookies from known marketing and ad companies, so when they show up in a scan it's fine to delete them (no benefit to you in keeping them), but nothing to be concerned with either.

If you really wanted to you can make your web browser stop accepting all cookies, or ask you each time if you want to accept them. However, you will most likely find this annoying.

1. What is a tracking cookie?

A tracking cookie is a small text file that is placed on a user's computer when they visit a website. It collects information about the user's browsing behavior, such as their visited pages, time spent on each page, and items clicked on, and sends this data back to the website for tracking and advertising purposes.

2. How does a tracking cookie work?

When a user visits a website, the website's server sends a cookie to the user's browser. The cookie is then stored on the user's computer, and every time they visit the website, the cookie is sent back to the server. This allows the website to track the user's online activity and personalize their browsing experience.

3. Are tracking cookies harmful?

Tracking cookies are not inherently harmful, as they do not contain viruses or malware. However, they do raise privacy concerns as they collect and share user data without their explicit consent. Some users may also find targeted advertising based on their browsing history intrusive.

4. Can I disable tracking cookies?

Yes, most browsers allow users to disable tracking cookies. However, this may affect the functionality and personalization of certain websites. Some websites may also block access to users who have disabled tracking cookies.

5. How can I protect my privacy from tracking cookies?

To protect your privacy from tracking cookies, you can regularly clear your cookies and browsing history, use private browsing mode, or install browser extensions that block tracking cookies. You can also adjust your browser's privacy settings to limit the use of cookies. Additionally, being mindful of the websites you visit and the information you share online can also help protect your privacy.