Cascaded low pass filters problem

• Thread starter Stef42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Filters
In summary: Therefore, impedance is a complex number that combines both resistance and reactance, and it is used to describe the overall opposition to current in an AC circuit. In summary, the conversation discusses finding the voltage transfer function for a coupled RC network, using the general potential divider equation and the concept of impedance. The difference between impedance and reactance is also clarified.
Stef42

Homework Statement

Given the coupled RC network shown below (see attachment), show that the voltage transfer function is
[tex]\frac{Vout}{Vin}=\frac{1}{(1-\omega^2C^2R^2)+3j\omega CR}[/tex]

Hint: [tex]\frac{Vout}{Vin}=\frac{V1}{Vin}\frac{Vout}{V1}[/tex]

Homework Equations

For Capacitor, [tex]Z=\frac{1}{j\omega C}[/tex]
General Potential divider equation [tex]Vout=\frac{Z2}{Z1+Z2}Vin[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I find this all a bit confusing :( I know that the second filter is acting as a load for the first filter, so I know I just can't write
[tex]V1=\frac{1}{j\omega C}\frac{1}{R+\frac{1}{j\omega C}}Vin[/tex]
So would I need to combine the total impedance of the second filter with the impedance of the first capacitor?
Actually, could someone clear up impedance and reactance? For a capacitor reactance is
[tex]X=\frac{1}{\omega C}[/tex]
while its impedance is
[tex]Z\frac{1}{j\omega C}[/tex]
So if a resitor is connected in series, how/what would I combine to obtain the total resistance/impedance?

Any help would be appreciated, I think you can tell that my ideas are a bit muddled :s
thanks
SG

Attachments

• circuit.jpg
    circuit.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 556
Physics news on Phys.org
Just like to say I finally got it :)
I just used [tex]V=IZ[/tex] really.
Say that current [tex]I[/tex] flows through the first filter and current [tex]I_{1}[/tex] goes through the second one.
Starting from the right, [tex]I_{1}=j\omega C\times V_{out}[/tex]

[tex]RI_{1}=j\omega CR V_{out}[/tex]

[tex]V_{1}=RI_{1}+V_{out}=(j\omega CR+1) V_{out}[/tex]

[tex]RI=R(I_{1}+j\omega C V_{1})=(2j\omega CR-\omega^2 C^2R^2)V_{out}[/tex]

[tex]V_{in}=RI+V_{1}=(1+3j\omega CR-\omega^2 C^2R^2) V_{out}[/tex]

hence original result is obtained.

Glad you figured it out! If you still need to know the difference between impedance and reactance, it's quite simple: reactance is the imaginary part of impedance. Plus resistance is the real part of impedance.

1. What is a cascaded low pass filter?

A cascaded low pass filter is a type of electronic filter that allows low frequency signals to pass through while attenuating high frequency signals. It is created by connecting multiple low pass filters in series.

2. How does a cascaded low pass filter work?

A cascaded low pass filter works by using multiple stages of low pass filters to reduce the amplitude of high frequency signals. The first stage attenuates the highest frequencies, and each subsequent stage further reduces the amplitude of higher frequency signals that were not attenuated by the previous stages.

3. What are the advantages of using cascaded low pass filters?

One advantage of using cascaded low pass filters is that they can provide a steeper roll-off of high frequency signals compared to a single low pass filter. They also have the ability to achieve a lower cutoff frequency than a single filter, allowing for more precise filtering of specific frequency ranges.

4. What are some common applications of cascaded low pass filters?

Cascaded low pass filters are commonly used in audio systems to remove unwanted high frequency noise. They are also used in communication systems to filter out high frequency interference. In addition, they are used in instrumentation and control systems to filter out high frequency noise and improve signal quality.

5. How can I design a cascaded low pass filter?

The design of a cascaded low pass filter involves selecting the appropriate values for the cutoff frequency, filter order, and component values such as resistors and capacitors. There are online tools and software available to assist with the design process, or it can be done using mathematical equations and circuit analysis techniques.