RC circuit using complex numbers

In summary: A crucial tool for analog analysis. In your physics classes they teach differential equations, but practicing analog EEs jump right into the "s-domain" with Laplace transforms and are likely to forget that they are actually dealing with DEs. Honestly, after many years, I don't think I know how to find a transient response without Laplace.
Kaguro
Homework Statement
In the given RC network, for an input signal of angular frequency w=1/RC, the voltage gain |Vo|/|Vi| and the phase angle between Vo and Vi, respectively are:

1/2 and 0
1/3 and 0
1/2 and pi/2
1/3 and pi/2
Relevant Equations
Xc = -j/(wC)
where j is the imaginary unit.

Kirchhof's Law:
Vi - IR - IXc - Vo = 0
WhatsApp Image 2020-12-30 at 12.06.06 AM.jpeg
The impedance Z = R -j/wC + ##\frac{1}{\frac{1}{R} - \frac{\omega C}{j}}##
But,1/wC=R
So, solving this, I find:
Z= 3R/2(1-j)

|Z| =##\frac{3R}{\sqrt 2}##
I =##\frac{V_i \sqrt 2} {3R}##

Vi - IR-IXc =Vo

Solving this,
##Vo = V_i -\frac {V_i \sqrt 2}{3} - \frac{V_i \sqrt 2}{3R} \frac{-j}{wC}##
##Vo = V_i(1 -\frac {\sqrt 2}{3} - \frac{+j \sqrt 2}{3})##

This is something that doesn't match the options.

I think I am doing something conceptually wrong( like parallel addition of resistance and reactance maybe..). Please guide me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You shouldn't be determining the current using the magnitude of the impedance. You'd want to find the complex current in order to retain phase information.

Likes Delta2, etotheipi and Kaguro
Was the condition ##R = \frac{1}{\omega C}## given in the problem?

vela said:
Was the condition ##R = \frac{1}{\omega C}## given in the problem?
Yes.

gneill said:
You shouldn't be determining the current using the magnitude of the impedance. You'd want to find the complex current in order to retain phase information.
Okay. I found the complex current!

So I wrote the Kirchhoff's law equation, this time using complex current. Then found that the imaginary terms canceled and I end up with Vo=Vi/3.

So 0 phase difference between Vi and V0.
And Voltage gain is 1/3!

And that matched with the answer given.

Thank you very much!

With this, I have another question.

If the circuit is more complicated than this, with a series of multiple such parallel RC blocks plus series components,

Then if I am asked to find voltage drop across one of the parallel capacitor, I won't be able to write the Vo in terms of only series component voltage drop. How to find the Vo then?

Likes Delta2
Usually more complex networks are most easily solved by using the Thevenin Source Transformations to reduce the complexity of the network. You may not have gotten that far in your studies yet though.

If you use KVL and KCL equations for big networks, you end up with lots of simultaneous equations to solve (i.e. big matrices). That works, especially if you are a computer simulator, but it's hard for us humans.

Likes Delta2 and Kaguro
DaveE said:
Usually more complex networks are most easily solved by using the Thevenin Source Transformations to reduce the complexity of the network. You may not have gotten that far in your studies yet though.

If you use KVL and KCL equations for big networks, you end up with lots of simultaneous equations to solve (i.e. big matrices). That works, especially if you are a computer simulator, but it's hard for us humans.
Okay I'll look into it. Thank you once again.

An "intermediate method" when there are isolated two port sections is to assign and calculate the complex impedance of each subunit. In this case one section has C parallel to R and one has C series R. The total impedance is these impedances in series.
Formally this is identical to @DaveE suggestion but sometimes this is quicker. It really means to chose the loops carefully!

Likes Kaguro and DaveE
The broader point in circuit analysis is to get familiar with a set of tools that you can use to solve problems easily, by applying the best tools for the circumstances. There is a bit of art in STEM that involves recognizing which tools are best for the particular problem you have at hand. Often there are multiple paths to a solution, each with their own pros and cons.

Likes Kaguro and hutchphd
DaveE said:
The broader point in circuit analysis is to get familiar with a set of tools that you can use to solve problems easily, by applying the best tools for the circumstances. There is a bit of art in STEM that involves recognizing which tools are best for the particular problem you have at hand. Often there are multiple paths to a solution, each with their own pros and cons.
Yes, such art exists in all the places, like the best technique to solve an integral.

All of this intuition comes from a lot of practice.

I've seen people using Laplace transform in electronics...

Likes Delta2
Kaguro said:
I've seen people using Laplace transform in electronics...
A crucial tool for analog analysis. In your physics classes they teach differential equations, but practicing analog EEs jump right into the "s-domain" with Laplace transforms and are likely to forget that they are actually dealing with DEs. Honestly, after many years, I don't think I know how to find a transient response without Laplace.

Likes Kaguro

1. What is an RC circuit?

An RC circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) connected in series or parallel. It is commonly used in electronic devices to control the flow of current and store electrical energy.

2. How do complex numbers relate to RC circuits?

Complex numbers are used to represent the impedance of a capacitor in an RC circuit. The impedance of a capacitor is a complex number that takes into account both the resistance and reactance of the capacitor.

3. What is the formula for calculating the impedance of an RC circuit using complex numbers?

The formula for calculating the impedance of an RC circuit using complex numbers is Z = R + 1/(jωC), where Z is the impedance, R is the resistance, j is the imaginary unit, ω is the angular frequency, and C is the capacitance.

4. How do you calculate the phase angle in an RC circuit using complex numbers?

The phase angle in an RC circuit can be calculated using the formula θ = tan^-1(-1/(ωRC)), where θ is the phase angle, ω is the angular frequency, R is the resistance, and C is the capacitance.

5. What are the applications of RC circuits using complex numbers?

RC circuits using complex numbers have various applications in electronics, including signal processing, filters, and frequency response analysis. They are also used in communication systems, power supplies, and audio equipment.