Wind power generators

by goober2906
Tags: generators, power, wind
goober2906
Feb24-09, 04:59 PM
P: 2
Hi,

I'm trying to build a vertical wind powered turbine system and I'm have trouble finding a small, cheap generator/alternator to use. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
A smart prosthetic knee with in-vivo diagnoses
Old tires become material for new and improved roads
Students take clot-buster for a spin
mgb_phys
Feb24-09, 05:08 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 8,961
If you want to build something that works - rather than a science fair project check out these http://www.otherpower.com/
They discuss why you should make your own generator from Volvo wheel hubs and wind your own coils!
zoobyshoe
Feb24-09, 07:59 PM
P: 5,616
I'm not sure if this is too small, but any 12 volt DC motor from a car should work in reverse as a DC generator. These might be the motors that run the windshield wipers or those that operate the windows. The good thing about them is that they're already perfect for charging a 12 volt battery.

I have one I picked up at a swap meet. It has a large speed reduction through a worm gear. To use it as a generator that worm gear would have to be removed and some other means of gearing it up arrived at.

Most vertical axis wind mills are high torque/low speed and you need to arrange your gears or pulleys such that the generator is running at much higher RPMs than the windmill rotor. The slower the rotor, the more torque the wind applies to it.

pantaz
Feb24-09, 08:18 PM
P: 586

Wind power generators

Define "small" and "cheap".
Astronuc
Feb24-09, 10:53 PM
Admin
P: 21,637
Quote Quote by goober2906 View Post
Hi,

I'm trying to build a vertical wind powered turbine system and I'm have trouble finding a small, cheap generator/alternator to use. Does anyone have any suggestions?
What power level 1 kW, 10 kW, . . .?
goober2906
Feb25-09, 12:36 AM
P: 2
Small, as in under a foot diameter, cheap as in less than $50 dollars.

1kW or less. nothing extravagant. Its for a small wind turbine to be used for airspeeds of less than 15mph.

Thanks!

Register to reply