Wind Power Generator: Small & Cheap Alternator Suggestions

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a small and cheap generator/alternator for a vertical wind turbine system. Suggestions are given to use a homemade generator from Volvo wheel hubs and to repurpose a 12V DC motor from a car. The conversation also mentions the need for proper gearing to increase the RPMs of the generator, as well as specifying the power level and budget for the generator.
goober2906
Hi,

I'm trying to build a vertical wind powered turbine system and I'm have trouble finding a small, cheap generator/alternator to use. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you want to build something that works - rather than a science fair project check out these http://www.otherpower.com/
They discuss why you should make your own generator from Volvo wheel hubs and wind your own coils!

I'm not sure if this is too small, but any 12 volt DC motor from a car should work in reverse as a DC generator. These might be the motors that run the windshield wipers or those that operate the windows. The good thing about them is that they're already perfect for charging a 12 volt battery.

I have one I picked up at a swap meet. It has a large speed reduction through a worm gear. To use it as a generator that worm gear would have to be removed and some other means of gearing it up arrived at.

Most vertical axis wind mills are high torque/low speed and you need to arrange your gears or pulleys such that the generator is running at much higher RPMs than the windmill rotor. The slower the rotor, the more torque the wind applies to it.

Define "small" and "cheap".

goober2906 said:
Hi,

I'm trying to build a vertical wind powered turbine system and I'm have trouble finding a small, cheap generator/alternator to use. Does anyone have any suggestions?
What power level 1 kW, 10 kW, . . .?

Small, as in under a foot diameter, cheap as in less than $50 dollars.

1kW or less. nothing extravagant. Its for a small wind turbine to be used for airspeeds of less than 15mph.

Thanks!

1. What is a wind power generator and how does it work?

A wind power generator is a device that converts the kinetic energy from the wind into electrical energy. It works by using blades or turbines to capture the wind's energy and turn it into rotational motion, which is then converted into electricity by a generator.

2. How much electricity can a small wind power generator produce?

The electricity production of a small wind power generator can vary greatly depending on factors such as wind speed, location, and the size and efficiency of the generator. On average, a small wind power generator can produce anywhere from 100 watts to 10 kilowatts of electricity.

3. How much does a small wind power generator cost?

The cost of a small wind power generator can vary depending on the size, type, and brand. Generally, a small wind power generator can cost anywhere from $500 to $10,000. However, there are also DIY options that can be built for much cheaper.

4. Can a small wind power generator be used for off-grid living?

Yes, a small wind power generator can be a great option for off-grid living. It can provide a reliable and sustainable source of electricity, especially in areas with high wind speeds. However, it is important to carefully assess the energy needs and potential wind resources before investing in a wind power generator for off-grid living.

5. Are there any environmental impacts of using a small wind power generator?

Compared to other forms of energy production, wind power generators have relatively low environmental impacts. They do not emit any pollutants or greenhouse gases, and the land used for wind farms can still be used for other purposes such as farming. However, there may be some noise and visual impacts for nearby residents.