Need help with Axial flux generator

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of axial in wind turbines and how to slow down and stop the turbine in high winds. One method is to "feather" the blades while another is to turn the turbine side on to the wind. The suggestion of using electromagnetic power input to slow the turbine is deemed impractical.
berserkhealr
TL;DR Summary
Can you slow down a axial generator by cutting the flow of the power been generatored and then putting a current back into the generator to slow it down and then hold it at a stop?
I am sure axial are used in wind turbines so i will use it as my example.

Say you are using the wind turbine to generate power but its getting to windy and you want to slow down the turbine to bring it to a stop.

What i want to know is ...

If you can cut off the power that's been generated, to then have power inputted into the generator from another sauce would this then act as a type of electromagnetic and use this to help slow down the turbine to bring it to a stop and hold it in place?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

The usual way to deal with high winds is to "feather" the blades of the wind turbine to slow them to a stop. This is much more practical that wasting a bunch of power to actively slow-stop-hold the blades and connected generator.

1627487022670.png

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/A-wind-turbine-shown-in-a-feathered-position-during-the-curtailment-experiment-at-the_fig3_261939946

Another way is to turn the turbine side on to the wind so as to reduce the speed and power.

• Informative
Likes berkeman

1. What is an axial flux generator?

An axial flux generator is a type of electric generator that uses a disc-shaped rotor with magnets mounted on its surface and a stator with coils placed around the rotor. The magnetic flux runs parallel to the axis of rotation, hence the name "axial flux."

2. How does an axial flux generator work?

An axial flux generator works by converting mechanical energy from a rotating shaft into electrical energy. As the rotor spins, the magnets on its surface create a magnetic field, which induces a current in the stator coils. This current can then be used to power electrical devices or be stored in a battery.

3. What are the advantages of using an axial flux generator?

Axial flux generators have several advantages over traditional radial flux generators. They are more compact and lightweight, have a higher power-to-weight ratio, and can operate at higher speeds. They also have a simpler construction, making them easier to manufacture and maintain.

4. What are the applications of an axial flux generator?

Axial flux generators are commonly used in renewable energy systems, such as wind turbines and hydroelectric generators. They are also used in electric vehicles, portable power generators, and other applications where compact and efficient power generation is required.

5. How can I improve the efficiency of an axial flux generator?

To improve the efficiency of an axial flux generator, you can use high-quality materials for the rotor and stator, reduce the air gap between them, and optimize the design of the coils and magnets. It is also important to properly maintain the generator and ensure that it is operating at its optimal speed and load.