Register to reply

Network Setup Help

by NeoDevin
Tags: network, setup
Share this thread:
NeoDevin
Feb25-09, 10:29 PM
P: 687
My ISP gives me 2 IP addresses, but I have 3 computers to connect to the internet. I have a router and a switch as well.

My current rig goes from the cable modem, to the switch, to my 2 current computers.

What I want is to connect the new computer directly to the internet using one of my IP addresses, and use the router to share the other IP address between my 2 existing computers. Ideally all 3 of the computers should be able to access each other via LAN, but this is not essential. Is this possible to set up with my current equipment, and if so, how?

Thanks in advance.
Devin
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Mysterious source of ozone-depleting chemical baffles NASA
Water leads to chemical that gunks up biofuels production
How lizards regenerate their tails: Researchers discover genetic 'recipe'
DaleSwanson
Feb25-09, 11:19 PM
P: 351
What kind of router and switch do you have? My router has a page that looks like I could use to map what external IPs go to which internal ones. I don't think it's a very standard feature though.
NeoDevin
Feb26-09, 12:49 AM
I linked to the product pages for the router and switch that I have, click on the words in my post.

Evo
Feb26-09, 09:08 AM
Mentor
P: 26,524
Network Setup Help

I've always just advised clients to use NAT.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk64...ocol_home.html

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/nat.htm
mgb_phys
Feb26-09, 09:27 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 8,953
The one that you connect directly - is this so it is available from outside ?

Assuming it is, and assuming the cable company only gives you one physical wire.

Cable box -> ethernet cable -> dumb switch port 1
Dumb switch port 2 -> externally visible computer
Dumb switch port 3 -> router (assuming it is also a NAT - which most home routers are)
NAT port 2 -> computer 2
NAT port 3 -> computer 3

The externally visible computer is vunerable to attacks, make sure it is well secured, patches upto date, unused ports disabled etc.
NeoDevin
Feb26-09, 08:14 PM
Quote Quote by mgb_phys View Post
Cable box -> ethernet cable -> dumb switch port 1
Dumb switch port 2 -> externally visible computer
Dumb switch port 3 -> router (assuming it is also a NAT - which most home routers are)
NAT port 2 -> computer 2
NAT port 3 -> computer 3
Thanks, I was thinking about it while working today and figured the same thing, I'll give it a try later tonight, hopefully everything will work properly.
NeoDevin
Mar1-09, 11:28 AM
Ok, so I decided to do things a little differently than that, and use 1 ip address for all three machines, but I'm running into a bit of trouble that I can't figure out. The set up posted by mgb_phys above works, with the switch between the cable modem and the router. I've tried to switch the router and the switch, so it goes:

Cable modem -> Router (NAT)
NAT port 1 -> Computer 1
NAT port 2 -> Switch
Switch -> Computers 2 and 3

The problem is that I can't access the internet, or even the router setup page from computers 2 or 3. Any idea what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance.
mgb_phys
Mar1-09, 11:36 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
That should work - unless the switch is faulty or the router has some weird extra settign to only allow one machine per port.
Can you connect a computer directly to NAT port 2 and test that
NeoDevin
Mar1-09, 11:53 AM
Connecting a computer directly to NAT port 2 works, and just using the switch by itself works as well.
mgb_phys
Mar1-09, 12:04 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Sounds like the switch is blocking the broadcast from machines 2/3 when they try and get a dynamic address with DHCP.
Is this a smart switch with some traffic management or just a $10 dumb hub - the dumb one might work better!
NeoDevin
Mar1-09, 12:19 PM
The switch is the one linked to in the OP, http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/EZXS55W . I got it for about $50, 3 years ago. The thing that I don't understand, is that the switch doesn't cause problems with the modem acting as a DHCP.
NeoDevin
Mar1-09, 10:33 PM
Got it working! The problem was that the router auto-detects whether it needs to cross the cable or not, if it's connected to a computer or a modem, but not a switch. I had to connect it to the uplink port on my switch with a straight through cable (or one of the other ports with a crossover cable).
mgb_phys
Mar2-09, 09:05 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
well done - often only the first/uplink port on a switch will autodetect (just to save a few pennies)

Register to reply