Register to reply

Refractive index of gold? (& negative refractive index, + surface plasmon resonance?)

Share this thread:
philip041
Mar3-09, 04:14 PM
P: 107
I'm trying understand surface plasmon resonance in a gold film, and have decided that gold must have a refractive index of say 5-10ish in optical light. However I'm not sure and I think I might be on the wrong track.

Also does negative refractive index have anything to do with surface plasmon resonance.

Sorry got myself in a mess.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New complex oxides could advance memory devices
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
Scientists control surface tension to manipulate liquid metals (w/ Video)
alxm
Mar3-09, 05:16 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,866
Quote Quote by philip041 View Post
I'm trying understand surface plasmon resonance in a gold film, and have decided that gold must have a refractive index of say 5-10ish in optical light. However I'm not sure and I think I might be on the wrong track.
Looking in the CRC handbook, it seems it's more like 1.5-3 across the visible spectrum.

Also does negative refractive index have anything to do with surface plasmon resonance.
I don't know enough about SPR to answer that. I always assumed it was a nonlinear-optical-effect thing?
l_u_i_s__m
Mar30-09, 11:54 PM
P: 1
I know something about ssp, and negative refractive index has all about plasmons resonance... SPP is a normal mode of a metal-dielectric interface whom is accomplished by a negative refractive index.

SPP is a solution of a MAXWELL's equation.. check boundary condition and normal modes definition (JACKSON chapter 7 and any book of mathematics)..

Good luck

Bzai
Mar19-10, 04:54 AM
P: 2
Refractive index of gold? (& negative refractive index, + surface plasmon resonance?)

For an excellent explanation of surface plasmon polaritons, I refer you to "Plasmonics: Fundamentals and Applications" by Stefan Maier. I found the book really helpful.

Especially Chap 1 and 2. Goes through basics and what plasmons are about.

Register to reply