Refractive index of gold? (& negative refractive index, + surface plasmon resonance?)

by philip041
Tags: gold, index, negative, plasmon, refractive, resonance, surface
philip041
Mar3-09, 04:14 PM
P: 107
I'm trying understand surface plasmon resonance in a gold film, and have decided that gold must have a refractive index of say 5-10ish in optical light. However I'm not sure and I think I might be on the wrong track.

Also does negative refractive index have anything to do with surface plasmon resonance.

Sorry got myself in a mess.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Chameleon crystals could enable active camouflage (w/ video)
Atomic switcheroo explains origins of thin-film solar cell mystery
X-ray laser experiment explores how specially shocked material gets stronger
alxm
Mar3-09, 05:16 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,867
Quote Quote by philip041 View Post
I'm trying understand surface plasmon resonance in a gold film, and have decided that gold must have a refractive index of say 5-10ish in optical light. However I'm not sure and I think I might be on the wrong track.
Looking in the CRC handbook, it seems it's more like 1.5-3 across the visible spectrum.

Also does negative refractive index have anything to do with surface plasmon resonance.
I don't know enough about SPR to answer that. I always assumed it was a nonlinear-optical-effect thing?
l_u_i_s__m
Mar30-09, 11:54 PM
P: 1
I know something about ssp, and negative refractive index has all about plasmons resonance... SPP is a normal mode of a metal-dielectric interface whom is accomplished by a negative refractive index.

SPP is a solution of a MAXWELL's equation.. check boundary condition and normal modes definition (JACKSON chapter 7 and any book of mathematics)..

Good luck

Bzai
Mar19-10, 04:54 AM
P: 2

Refractive index of gold? (& negative refractive index, + surface plasmon resonance?)

For an excellent explanation of surface plasmon polaritons, I refer you to "Plasmonics: Fundamentals and Applications" by Stefan Maier. I found the book really helpful.

Especially Chap 1 and 2. Goes through basics and what plasmons are about.

Register to reply