Gravitational Potential Energy Definition

by jmsmith
Tags: definition, energy, gravitational, potential
jmsmith
Mar17-09, 08:29 AM
P: 9
I have a technical question regarding the definition of gravitational potential energy: How correct is it to discuss/define the gravitational potential energy of object A without regard for the other bodies that are exerting a gravitational force on object A?

I find this kind of thing in science books all the time: "The gravitational potential energy of the vase is 20 J..."

How well does this compare with: "The gravitational potential energy of the vase-Earth system is 20 J..."?

I personally think the second version is better, but I have enough doubts and interest to ask.

Ultimately, how should gravitational potential energy be defined?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
Doc Al
Mar17-09, 08:48 AM
Mentor
P: 40,885
Quote Quote by jmsmith View Post
I have a technical question regarding the definition of gravitational potential energy: How correct is it to discuss/define the gravitational potential energy of object A without regard for the other bodies that are exerting a gravitational force on object A?
It's not correct at all.

I find this kind of thing in science books all the time: "The gravitational potential energy of the vase is 20 J..."
Little by little, such sloppy usage is going away.

How well does this compare with: "The gravitational potential energy of the vase-Earth system is 20 J..."?
That's the more correct version, found in the better textbooks.

I personally think the second version is better, but I have enough doubts and interest to ask.
Good for you.

Ultimately, how should gravitational potential energy be defined?
As a joint property of the two objects and their gravitational field.

Register to reply