Register to reply

Gravitational Potential Energy Definition

Share this thread:
jmsmith
Mar17-09, 08:29 AM
P: 9
I have a technical question regarding the definition of gravitational potential energy: How correct is it to discuss/define the gravitational potential energy of object A without regard for the other bodies that are exerting a gravitational force on object A?

I find this kind of thing in science books all the time: "The gravitational potential energy of the vase is 20 J..."

How well does this compare with: "The gravitational potential energy of the vase-Earth system is 20 J..."?

I personally think the second version is better, but I have enough doubts and interest to ask.

Ultimately, how should gravitational potential energy be defined?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Step lightly: All-optical transistor triggered by single photon promises advances in quantum applications
The unifying framework of symmetry reveals properties of a broad range of physical systems
What time is it in the universe?
Doc Al
Mar17-09, 08:48 AM
Mentor
P: 41,475
Quote Quote by jmsmith View Post
I have a technical question regarding the definition of gravitational potential energy: How correct is it to discuss/define the gravitational potential energy of object A without regard for the other bodies that are exerting a gravitational force on object A?
It's not correct at all.

I find this kind of thing in science books all the time: "The gravitational potential energy of the vase is 20 J..."
Little by little, such sloppy usage is going away.

How well does this compare with: "The gravitational potential energy of the vase-Earth system is 20 J..."?
That's the more correct version, found in the better textbooks.

I personally think the second version is better, but I have enough doubts and interest to ask.
Good for you.

Ultimately, how should gravitational potential energy be defined?
As a joint property of the two objects and their gravitational field.

Register to reply