Two separate "gravitational potential energy" equations?

In summary: Next, find the difference between the potential energies at ground level and at a height of 1 m. First use equation 1, which should be pretty trivial. Then use equation 2, which might need a little more work. You should be able to get the same answer either way.In summary, equation 1 gives a potential energy at ground level that is 9.8 J greater than equation 2.
David Day
I am hoping to get a deeper understanding of the difference between two different gravitational potential energy equations, the first of which is given by

U = mgh

and the second given by

U = (Gm1m2)/r

I first assumed that in a system consisting of the Earth and, say, a tennis ball, these two equations would yield the same result for the potential energy of the tennis ball as it was held 1 meter above the ground. It another second or two to realize that the results of these two equations are extremely different. This confuses me, since both equations describe "gravitational potential energy."

What is the explanation behind the difference in these two equations? What type of scenarios do each describe? Is it the fact that we are not considering the Earth itself as an object in the first equation? Is the second equation specifically describing gravitational force between two objects? Any insight on this would be very much appreciated!

Likes shrey
Physics news on Phys.org
David Day said:
It another second or two to realize that the results of these two equations are extremely different. This confuses me, since both equations describe "gravitational potential energy."

What is the explanation behind the difference in these two equations?
Take the second equation, do a coordinate transformation from r to h, then do a Taylor series expansion about h=0. What do you get?

Likes Demystifier and shrey
If Dale's hint doesn't ring a bell, show us exactly how you set up the calculation for the two formulas, for an object 1 m above the ground. That is, show us the numbers that you used.

jtbell said:
If Dale's hint doesn't ring a bell, show us exactly how you set up the calculation for the two formulas, for an object 1 m above the ground. That is, show us the numbers that you used.

I forgot that g = GM/r2, so I understand a little better how the equations are related. As for my calculations:

Ball: m = 1 kg
h = 1 m

With equation 1: U = mgh = (1 kg)(9.8 m/s2)(1 m) = 9.8 J

With equation 2: -Gm1m2/r = - (G)(1 kg)(ME kg)/(RE + 1 m) = 6.26E7 J,

where ME = mass of Earth = 5.97E24 kg, and RE = radius of Earth = 6.37E6 J

Is the reason for this large value of equation 2 because it is the potential energy of the ball relative to the center of the Earth?

Also, I'm not sure I fully understand Dale's hint. Is it that U = mgh is a linear approximation of gravitational potential energy?

David Day said:
I forgot that g = GM/r2, so I understand a little better how the equations are related. As for my calculations:

Ball: m = 1 kg
h = 1 m

With equation 1: U = mgh = (1 kg)(9.8 m/s2)(1 m) = 9.8 J

where ME = mass of Earth = 5.97E24 kg, and RE = radius of Earth = 6.37E6 J

Is the reason for this large value of equation 2 because it is the potential energy of the ball relative to the center of the Earth?

Also, I'm not sure I fully understand Dale's hint. Is it that U = mgh is a linear approximation of gravitational potential energy?
With equation 2 that is the GPE relative to an unbound mass at infinite distance, what happens if you consider the difference between the GPE at the surface and 1 m above the surface?
i.e. What do you get if you do (G)(m)(ME)/(RE + 1) - (G)(m)(ME)( RE)?

Dale said:
Take the second equation, do a coordinate transformation from r to h, then do a Taylor series expansion about h=0. What do you get?

correct ..! i got it

David Day said:
It is, but you really should work through it because there is a very important point to come out of the math. Don’t just think about it, actually work it out and post your result. Use ##r=R+h## for the coordinate transformation to start, where R is the radius of the earth. Then do the Taylor series expansion about h=0.

David Day said:
You dropped a minus sign.

Last edited:
Dale said:
Use ##r=R+h## to start, where R is the radius of the earth.
He did do that:
David Day said:
Now do it again, with ##r = R##, to get the potential energy at ground level, and compare this to what equation 1 gives for the potential energy at ground level. This should tell you an important difference between the two equations.

Next, find the difference between the potential energies at ground level and at a height of 1 m. First use equation 1, which should be pretty trivial. Then use equation 2, which might need some effort to get a useful answer.

As Vagn and jtbell say, I see now, using equation 2, that by calculating the change in potential energy of the ball initially at ground level and at a final position of 1 m above the ground, the result is the same as that given by equation 1, that is:

Uf = -Gm1ME/(RE + 1)
Ui = -Gm1ME/(RE)
Uf - Ui = 9.8 J

As for the Taylor series:

f(h) = -Gm1ME/(r + h), r = R

which can be rearranged as (-Gm1ME/R)*(1+(h/R))-1

so f(h) = (-Gm1ME/(R) ∑ (-1)n(h/R)n

The first few terms of the series would be (-Gm1ME/R)[1 - (h/R) + (h/R)2 - (h/R)3 + ...]

(GME/R2) = g, so (-Gm1ME/R2) = -m1g

therefore, the linear term is m1gh, which is consistent with equation 1. I'm hoping I did this correctly...

I see that as the order increases, for h << R, the terms of the series become increasingly insignificant.

What is the reason for ignoring the first term of the series, the 1? I know sometimes the first term of a series is considered insignificant; is that the case here?

Last edited:
David Day said:
What is the reason for ignoring the first term of the series, the 1? I know sometimes the first term of a series is considered insignificant; is that the case here?
Suppose you evaluate the series at one height, then at another height and take the difference? What is 1 minus 1?

Likes David Day
jbriggs444 said:
Suppose you evaluate the series at one height, then at another height and take the difference? What is 1 minus 1?
Ah, yes. I'm always forgetting to evaluate final - initial. Thanks for that.

Yep, only the difference in PE between two locations is physically significant.

What is the difference between the two gravitational potential energy equations?

The two gravitational potential energy equations are the Newtonian gravitational potential energy equation and the Einstein field equations. The main difference between the two is the level of precision and accuracy. The Newtonian equation is a simplified version that is used for everyday calculations, while the Einstein field equations are more complex and take into account relativistic effects.

How do these equations relate to gravity?

Both gravitational potential energy equations relate to gravity as they are used to calculate the potential energy of an object in a gravitational field. The Newtonian equation uses the mass and distance between two objects, while the Einstein field equations use the curvature of space and time to determine the potential energy.

Which equation should be used in different scenarios?

The Newtonian gravitational potential energy equation is suitable for most everyday scenarios, such as calculating the potential energy of an object on Earth. However, in extreme cases, such as near a black hole or in situations involving high speeds, the Einstein field equations should be used for more accurate results.

Do these equations apply to all objects?

Yes, both gravitational potential energy equations apply to all objects in a gravitational field. However, the Newtonian equation is limited to objects with smaller masses and slower speeds, while the Einstein field equations can be applied to any object regardless of mass or speed.

Can these equations be used interchangeably?

No, the two gravitational potential energy equations cannot be used interchangeably. They have different levels of precision and are based on different principles. It is important to use the appropriate equation for the specific scenario to ensure accurate results.