Particle Superposition

by karkas
Tags: particle, superposition
karkas
Mar17-09, 03:31 PM
P: 125
Hello, 've been progressing through my self-studying of the Schrodinger Equation in both its time-dependent and independent forms, and I have come across an unknown term.

Super Position ( in my book it's translated in greek literally superposition = υπέρθεση)

My guess so far is that a superposition is when a particle is described by two wavefunctions, which happen to be two eigenfunctions [latex]\psi_n[/latex]with the same (perhaps with different, {not sure there} ) eigenvalues En. Am I correct? If not, please enlighten me :)
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists consider implications of recent revelations about the universe's first light
Vacuum ultraviolet lamp of the future created in Japan
Grasp of SQUIDs dynamics facilitates eavesdropping
malawi_glenn
Mar17-09, 03:46 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 4,739
well it does not have to be a particle either! :-)

But consider deuterium, a bound proton - neutron state. It's state function is a linear combination of two terms: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deuteri...f_the_deuteron
karkas
Mar17-09, 04:21 PM
I think "Linear Combination of Wavefunctions" was the term I was looking for, eh?

confinement
Mar17-09, 04:35 PM
P: 192

Particle Superposition

Quote Quote by karkas View Post
I think "Linear Combination of Wavefunctions" was the term I was looking for, eh?
The term you are looking for is "linear combination of Energy eigenstates." For example, take the case of a particle in a 1D box of width L. The energy eigenfunctions are:

[tex]\phi_n = A sin(\frac{n \pi x}{L}) [/tex]

Where A is a normalization factor. Just because a particle is in this box, does not mean that it is one of the states, those are only the states with definite well defined energy. A particle could be in a super position of energy eigenstates:

[tex]\psi= B sin(\frac{\pi x}{L}) + C sin(\frac{2 \pi x}{L})[/tex]

where a condition on B and C is to normalize the wavefunction, as usual. Notice that the two states which are involved are the n = 1 state (the B term) and the n = 2 state (the C term). Now when we measure the energy of a particle in this state we do not know whether
you will get n = 1 or n = 2 but we can calculuate the probabiity of either!
karkas
Mar18-09, 03:41 AM
Thank you! Really nice explanation there!

Register to reply