Understanding Particle Superposition in the Schrodinger Equation

In summary, a superposition is when a particle is described by two wavefunctions, which happen to be two eigenfunctions with the same (perhaps with different, not sure there) eigenvalues. Superposition is also when a particle is in a state which is a linear combination of two energy eigenstates.
karkas
Hello, 've been progressing through my self-studying of the Schrodinger Equation in both its time-dependent and independent forms, and I have come across an unknown term.

Super Position ( in my book it's translated in greek literally superposition = υπέρθεση)

My guess so far is that a superposition is when a particle is described by two wavefunctions, which happen to be two eigenfunctions [itex]\psi_n[/itex]with the same (perhaps with different, {not sure there} ) eigenvalues En. Am I correct? If not, please enlighten me :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I think "Linear Combination of Wavefunctions" was the term I was looking for, eh?

karkas said:
I think "Linear Combination of Wavefunctions" was the term I was looking for, eh?

The term you are looking for is "linear combination of Energy eigenstates." For example, take the case of a particle in a 1D box of width L. The energy eigenfunctions are:

[tex]\phi_n = A sin(\frac{n \pi x}{L}) [/tex]

Where A is a normalization factor. Just because a particle is in this box, does not mean that it is one of the states, those are only the states with definite well defined energy. A particle could be in a super position of energy eigenstates:

[tex]\psi= B sin(\frac{\pi x}{L}) + C sin(\frac{2 \pi x}{L})[/tex]

where a condition on B and C is to normalize the wavefunction, as usual. Notice that the two states which are involved are the n = 1 state (the B term) and the n = 2 state (the C term). Now when we measure the energy of a particle in this state we do not know whether
you will get n = 1 or n = 2 but we can calculuate the probabiity of either!

Thank you! Really nice explanation there!

1. What is particle superposition?

Particle superposition is a quantum mechanical phenomenon in which a particle exists in multiple states or locations simultaneously, until it is observed or measured.

2. How does particle superposition work?

Particle superposition is a result of the wave-particle duality of quantum mechanics. A particle can exist in a state of superposition when it is described by a wavefunction, which gives the probability of the particle being in a certain state or location at any given time.

3. Can we observe particle superposition?

No, particle superposition cannot be directly observed. When a measurement is made, the superposition collapses and the particle is observed in a single state or location.

4. What are the practical applications of particle superposition?

Particle superposition is a fundamental concept in quantum computing, where it allows for multiple calculations to be carried out simultaneously. It also has applications in quantum cryptography and precision measurements.

5. Is particle superposition related to the "spooky" behavior of quantum mechanics?

Yes, particle superposition is one of the key principles that leads to the "spooky" behavior of quantum mechanics, such as entanglement and non-locality. It challenges our classical understanding of the world and is still an area of ongoing research and debate among scientists.