What is Pendellosung? | Get Answers Now

• Thread starter kaise_sose
  • Start date
In summary, a student is seeking help with understanding the term "Pendellosung" in relation to an experiment they are conducting on TEM at university. They initially thought it may be related to crystal defects or the Laue condition and Ewald sphere, but someone suggests it is a German word meaning "pendulum solution." They are unsure if this aligns with their initial thoughts about the term and its connection to TEM diffraction patterns. Another person chimes in, only knowing the meaning of the German word but not the physics behind it. The student continues to struggle with the assignment, but recalls hearing about Pendellosung fringes in a previous course on X-ray diffraction and believes it may be related to Laue diffraction
kaise_sose
Hi All,
Doing an experiment at uni on TEM,
I need to know what Pendellosung is.
I suspect either it is some sort of crystal defect or
it is related to Laue condition and Ewald sphere, but these are only guesses.
I really don't know.

Please help
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Can't tell you what it means physically, but the word "Pendellösung" is German and means "pendulum solution"
Does that help?

well if that is the case then I suppose that my first thought that it was related to the Ewald sphere is correct.?

Is it all related to the rings of higher intensity diffraction from higher order Laue zones, which you observe on TEM when looking at diffraction pattern.

From your post I was not sure wheather you knew the answer (and were nudging me in the correct direction) or you were yourself guessing.

I don't know a thing about the physics here, ONLY the meaning of the German word.
I only hoped that by clarifying the meaning of the WORD, you would know the meaning of the PHYSICS

That's cool
still stuck.
Damn physics assignments

I recall something about Pendellosung fringes when I was doing a course in X-ray diffraction. I think you can use spherical waves to determine the structure factor in a wedge shaped single crystal.

Perhaps the same idea works for TEM too. So I too would guess that it is related to Laue diffraction.

What is Pendellosung?

Pendellosung is a German word that translates to "pendulum solution" in English. It refers to the phenomenon of a pendulum's swing becoming irregular and chaotic when it is subject to certain conditions, such as being attached to a moving object or having multiple points of support.

What causes Pendellosung?

Pendellosung is caused by a combination of factors, including the pendulum's length, weight, and speed, as well as external forces such as air resistance and friction. It is also affected by the pendulum's point of support and the surface on which it swings.

Who discovered Pendellosung?

The phenomenon of Pendellosung was first described by the German physicist Heinrich Hertz in the late 19th century. Hertz was studying the properties of electromagnetic waves when he observed the irregular motion of a pendulum attached to a rapidly rotating wheel.

What are some real-world applications of Pendellosung?

Pendellosung has been used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. For example, it has been used to study wave properties, model chaotic systems, and design suspension systems for vehicles. It has also been applied in the development of precision instruments, such as atomic clocks.

Can Pendellosung be controlled or predicted?

While the exact motion of a pendulum subject to Pendellosung cannot be predicted, it can be controlled to a certain extent by adjusting the pendulum's length, weight, and other factors. However, the chaotic nature of Pendellosung means that it is difficult to fully control or predict its behavior.