Momentum of electron from total energy of electron

In summary, an electron has a total energy equal to five times its rest energy(0.511MeV). Its momentum (in MeV/c) is 2.61MeV/c.
umwolv16

Homework Statement

An electron has a total energy equal to five times its rest energy(0.511MeV).

--What is its momentum (in MeV/c)?

Homework Equations

E(total) = [mass(electron)*c^2]/[sq. root of (1- velocity^2/c^2)]
----I converted 2.555MeV (total energy) to 4.088e-13 J and plugged that in for E(total) to solve for velocity

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the EQN above to solve for velocity of the electron [in terms of c(speed of light)].
I then divided the total energy (2.555MeV) by this velocity (which I got to be 0.979680884c) and got the answer 2.61MeV/c. When I submit it, it says I'm within 10%, but I didn't round any numbers until the can't see what I did wrong...

Physics news on Phys.org
umwolv16 said:

Homework Statement

An electron has a total energy equal to five times its rest energy(0.511MeV).

--What is its momentum (in MeV/c)?

Homework Equations

E(total) = [mass(electron)*c^2]/[sq. root of (1- velocity^2/c^2)]
----I converted 2.555MeV (total energy) to 4.088e-13 J and plugged that in for E(total) to solve for velocity

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the EQN above to solve for velocity of the electron [in terms of c(speed of light)].
I then divided the total energy (2.555MeV) by this velocity

I don't believe that is correct; if you look at the equation you are using I think you'll find that you don't divide the energy by velocity to get momentum. What do you get?

I thought I solved for momentum because I found the velocity by the EQN i gave and I know the mass of an electron, but the units weren't right. I didn't know how to convert kg*m/s to MeV/c. I had energy in MeV and found my velocity in terms of c, so I couldn't think of anything else to do, but divide them. I feel like I'm using the right EQN, but I'm not sure how to derive my answer

umwolv16 said:
I thought I solved for momentum because I found the velocity by the EQN i gave and I know the mass of an electron, but the units weren't right. I didn't know how to convert kg*m/s to MeV/c. I had energy in MeV and found my velocity in terms of c, so I couldn't think of anything else to do, but divide them. I feel like I'm using the right EQN, but I'm not sure how to derive my answer

I think what you are missing is the definition of the relativistic momentum:

momentum =(gamma) m v

Since you have already done the work to find v, you could actually just plug that in and solve it. However, to get the equation related to what you have already done, note that:

momentum = (gamma) m v
energy = (gamma) m c^2

putting these together gives:

(v / c) = p c / E

and since you already have E in MeV and v in terms of c, you can get momentum directly.

1. What is momentum of an electron?

The momentum of an electron is a measure of its motion and is given by the product of its mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. What is the relationship between total energy and momentum of an electron?

The total energy of an electron is directly proportional to its momentum. This means that as the momentum of an electron increases, its total energy also increases.

3. How is the momentum of an electron determined from its total energy?

The momentum of an electron can be determined by dividing its total energy by the speed of light (c). This is based on the equation E=pc, where p represents momentum and c represents the speed of light.

4. Can an electron's momentum be changed without changing its total energy?

Yes, an electron's momentum can be changed without changing its total energy. This can be achieved by changing its velocity, as momentum is directly proportional to velocity.

5. How is the momentum of an electron related to its wavelength?

The momentum of an electron is inversely proportional to its wavelength. This means that as the momentum of an electron increases, its wavelength decreases. This relationship is described by the de Broglie equation, p=h/λ, where h is the Planck's constant and λ is the wavelength.