Total Particle Energy Flux in Auroral Arcs

In summary: However, without that information, it is impossible to determine the direction of the current. In summary, the homework question involves determining the total particle energy entering an auroral arc with specific dimensions. The total energy can be calculated by multiplying the electron energy by the electron flux. The current can be calculated by multiplying the electron flux by the area and the electron charge. The direction of the current can be determined by knowing the direction of the electron flow, with the current flowing in the opposite direction.
DaynaClarke
Homework Statement
Consider electron precipitating vertically into an auroral arc of area 1.0 km x 1200 km in the horizontal plane. The energy of the electrons is equal to 5 keV and the electron flux is [tex]8.0 x 10^13 m^-2 s^-1[/tex].
Determine the total particle energy into the arc, the total current flowing, and the direction of this current.
Relevant Equations
Electron flux = rate of flow of electrons per unit area
Current = rate of flow of electrons
Homework Statement: Consider electron precipitating vertically into an auroral arc of area 1.0 km x 1200 km in the horizontal plane. The energy of the electrons is equal to 5 keV and the electron flux is [tex]8.0 x 10^13 m^-2 s^-1[/tex].
Determine the total particle energy into the arc, the total current flowing, and the direction of this current.
Homework Equations: Electron flux = rate of flow of electrons per unit area
Current = rate of flow of electrons

So, I have this question on a past paper which I'm doing for revision, but I have no answers to see if I'm right or on the right track.

So far, I have the total particle energy flux as [tex] 4\times 10^{17} eVm^{-2}s^{-1} [/tex]. I got this by multiplying the energy of the electrons by the electron flux. But this seems far too simple?

Current is the rate of flow of electrons, so I did this:
Electron flux * Area = Rate
Rate * Electron Charge = Current
It gave me an answer of 15.36 kA. This seems pretty large, but aurorae are large so maybe it isn't too far-fetched?

I have no idea if either of these answers is correct, and I'm also not sure how to work out the direction of the current. I want to say it's the right-hand rule or something, but I don't know.

Physics news on Phys.org
DaynaClarke said:
Determine the total particle energy into the arc
This statement is not clear. It could mean to determine the total energy per second that enters the arc. It could mean to calculate the energy flux (as you did), but the word "total" seems to me to imply taking into account the total area of the arc rather than just a unit area.

I think your answer for the current is correct. Regarding the direction of the current, remember that electrons carry a negative charge. If you had a stream of electrons moving to the right, what would be the direction of the current?

TSny said:
This statement is not clear. It could mean to determine the total energy per second that enters the arc. It could mean to calculate the energy flux (as you did), but the word "total" seems to me to imply taking into account the total area of the arc rather than just a unit area.

I think your answer for the current is correct. Regarding the direction of the current, remember that electrons carry a negative charge. If you had a stream of electrons moving to the right, what would be the direction of the current?

Oh, it does say particle energy flux - I must have missed it out whilst transferring the question. Given this, did I calculate it correctly?

So, if electrons have a negative charge and flow to the right, would current flow to the left as my answer is positive? There is a good chance that I'm oversimplifying it.

Thank you for your response!

DaynaClarke said:
Oh, it does say particle energy flux - I must have missed it out whilst transferring the question. Given this, did I calculate it correctly?
Yes, it's correct.

So, if electrons have a negative charge and flow to the right, would current flow to the left as my answer is positive? There is a good chance that I'm oversimplifying it.
Yes, the current would be to the left. Current is in the direction opposite to the direction the electrons are moving. So, if you know the direction that the electrons are moving into the arc, you can deduce the direction of the current.

What is total particle energy flux?

Total particle energy flux refers to the amount of energy carried by charged particles that enter Earth's atmosphere from space during an auroral event.

How is total particle energy flux measured?

Total particle energy flux can be measured using instruments such as satellites, ground-based radars, and spectrometers. These instruments measure the energy of the particles and their flux, or rate of flow, through a given area.

What causes variations in total particle energy flux?

The total particle energy flux in auroral arcs can vary due to changes in the solar wind, which is the stream of particles from the Sun that interacts with Earth's magnetic field. Other factors such as the strength and orientation of Earth's magnetic field and the type of particles entering the atmosphere can also affect the flux.

Why is understanding total particle energy flux important?

Understanding total particle energy flux is important for studying the dynamics and effects of auroral events on Earth's atmosphere. It can also provide insight into the interaction between Earth and the space environment, and can aid in predicting and mitigating potential hazards for satellites and other technology.

How does total particle energy flux impact Earth's atmosphere?

Total particle energy flux can have various impacts on Earth's atmosphere, including heating and ionization of the upper atmosphere, as well as creating visible auroral displays. It can also contribute to changes in atmospheric chemistry and affect the distribution of charged particles in the ionosphere.