How to prove a set is unbounded

by happybear
Tags: prove, unbounded
Share this thread:
happybear
Apr29-09, 03:56 PM
P: 19
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose I have a set E that contains all continuous function f from [a,b] --> R, I think this is unbounded, but can I prove it?

2. Relevant equations

d(f1,f2)= sup{f1(x)-f2(x)}

3. The attempt at a solution
I want to show |d(f1,f2)|>M for some M, but I don't know if this is the right direction and how to do it
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Office life' of bacteria may be their weak spot
Lunar explorers will walk at higher speeds than thought
Philips introduces BlueTouch, PulseRelief control for pain relief
HallsofIvy
Apr29-09, 04:01 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,682
A set is "unbounded" if, for any positive number A, there exist point p and q in the set such that d(p,q)> A. That, of course, depends on how you measure "distance"- d(p,q).
What is your definition of d(f, g) for f and g in the set of continuous functions from [a, b] to R?

(What ever your d(f,g) is, consider the functions fn(x)= n. for n= 1, 2, 3, ...)
happybear
Apr29-09, 04:36 PM
But there are no definition of f, that is the point. F will be any continuous function from [a,b] to R. Can I prove this set is infinite?

konthelion
Apr29-09, 04:58 PM
P: 238
How to prove a set is unbounded

If you think that it is false, you can provide a counterexample.

So, if [tex] f : [a, b] \to R [/tex] and let A = [a, b] is bounded, is it necessarily true that f(A) is bounded?
HallsofIvy
Apr29-09, 05:59 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
Quote Quote by happybear View Post
But there are no definition of f, that is the point. F will be any continuous function from [a,b] to R. Can I prove this set is infinite?
Do you mean d, the distance function? There has to be a definition of distance in order to talk about "bounded" or "unbounded". And you don't want to prove the set is infinite (that's trivial), you want to prove it is unbounded, a completely different thing.

Is it possible that you are talking about the set of continuous functions from [a,b] to R? For that, the distance function is most commonly [itex]d(f, g)= \max_{a\le x\le b} |f(x)- g(x)|[/itex].
HallsofIvy
Apr29-09, 06:00 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
Quote Quote by konthelion View Post
If you think that it is false, you can provide a counterexample.

So, if [tex] f : [a, b] \to R [/tex] and let A = [a, b] is bounded, is it necessarily true that f(A) is bounded?
The problem was not to prove that functions in the set are bounded but that the set itself is.
happybear
Apr29-09, 08:03 PM
Quote Quote by HallsofIvy View Post

Is it possible that you are talking about the set of continuous functions from [a,b] to R? For that, the distance function is most commonly [itex]d(f, g)= \max_{a\le x\le b} |f(x)- g(x)|[/itex].

Yes. That is what I meant. And what I want to show is that there are infinitely many functions of f. That is how I interpret the question, since they ask if the set is unbounded. Or do I misunderstand it

Register to reply