Finding Coordinate Matrix for Linear Transformation T

In summary, the conversation is about finding the coordinate matrix of a linear transformation from V = P2 to W = P2, given an ordered basis F and a transformation equation. The person has attempted to solve the problem but is struggling with finding the correct coefficients for the matrix. They are seeking clarification and assistance.
Rifscape

Homework Statement

Hey, I posted another question yesterday, and thanks to the kindness and brilliance of hall of ivy, I was able to solve it. However when I apply the same logic to this new question I cannot seem to get it, can someone explain or show me how to do this question.

Consider the linear transformation T from
V = P2
to
W = P2
given by
T(a0 + a1t + a2t^2) = (2a0 + 4a1 + 2a2) + (2a0 + 3a1 + 4a2)t + (−2a0 + 3a1 + 4a2)t^2
Let F = (f1, f2, f3) be the ordered basis in P2 given by f1(t) = 1, f2(t) = 1 + t, f3(t) = 1 + t + t^2
Find the coordinate matrix [T]FF
of T relative to the ordered basis F used in both V and W, that is, fill in the blanks below: (Any entry that is a fraction should be entered as a proper fraction, i.e. as either x/y or -x/y where x and y are positive integers with no factors in common.)
T(f1(t)) = _f1(t) + _f2(t) + _f3(t)
T(f2(t)) = _f1(t) + _f2(t) + _f3(t)
T(f3(t)) = f1(t) + f2(t) + f3(t)
and therefore :
[T]FF
= the matrix created by the coefficients of the answers above

Homework Equations

Basis equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried doing what I did for the previous question. Since f1(t) = 1. It is 1 + 0t + 0t^2 = 1. So when I plugged in this to the T(a0 + a1t + a2t^2) I got 2 + 2t - 2t^2 for the coefficients of the first matrix. However when I enter this answer in, it is wrong except for the -2 coefficient for t^2. I have no idea why. I think it has something to do with how f2(t) is 1 + t, and how f2(t) is 1 + t + t^2. Could someone please help me on this?

Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rifscape said:

Homework Statement

Hey, I posted another question yesterday, and thanks to the kindness and brilliance of hall of ivy, I was able to solve it. However when I apply the same logic to this new question I cannot seem to get it, can someone explain or show me how to do this question.

Consider the linear transformation T from
V = P2
to
W = P2
given by
T(a0 + a1t + a2t^2) = (2a0 + 4a1 + 2a2) + (2a0 + 3a1 + 4a2)t + (−2a0 + 3a1 + 4a2)t^2
Let F = (f1, f2, f3) be the ordered basis in P2 given by f1(t) = 1, f2(t) = 1 + t, f3(t) = 1 + t + t^2
Find the coordinate matrix [T]FF
of T relative to the ordered basis F used in both V and W, that is, fill in the blanks below: (Any entry that is a fraction should be entered as a proper fraction, i.e. as either x/y or -x/y where x and y are positive integers with no factors in common.)
T(f1(t)) = _f1(t) + _f2(t) + _f3(t)
T(f2(t)) = _f1(t) + _f2(t) + _f3(t)
T(f3(t)) = f1(t) + f2(t) + f3(t)
and therefore :
[T]FF
= the matrix created by the coefficients of the answers above

Homework Equations

Basis equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried doing what I did for the previous question. Since f1(t) = 1. It is 1 + 0t + 0t^2 = 1. So when I plugged in this to the T(a0 + a1t + a2t^2) I got 2 + 2t - 2t^2 for the coefficients of the first matrix.
This is not the "first matrix." This is ##T(f_1)##, the first column of a matrix representation of T. Now calculate ##T(f_2)## and ##T(f_3)##, which will be, respectively, the 2nd and 3rd columns of your matrix.

This matrix won't be the answer, as those three column vectors are in terms of the standard basis ({1, t, t2}), not the basis of this problem.
Rifscape said:
However when I enter this answer in, it is wrong except for the -2 coefficient for t^2. I have no idea why. I think it has something to do with how f2(t) is 1 + t, and how f2(t) is 1 + t + t^2. Could someone please help me on this?

Thank you for your time.

1. What are the main applications of linear algebra?

Linear algebra has many real-world applications, including computer graphics, data analysis, physics, engineering, and economics. It is also used in machine learning and artificial intelligence algorithms.

2. What are the key concepts in linear algebra?

The key concepts in linear algebra include vectors, matrices, linear transformations, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and systems of linear equations. These concepts are essential for understanding and solving problems in linear algebra.

3. How is linear algebra related to other branches of mathematics?

Linear algebra is closely related to other branches of mathematics, such as calculus, differential equations, and abstract algebra. It provides a foundation for these areas and is often used to solve problems in them.

4. Can linear algebra be used in real-world problems?

Yes, linear algebra is used extensively in solving real-world problems, such as predicting stock market trends, analyzing data sets, designing efficient computer algorithms, and creating 3D graphics. It is a powerful tool for solving complex problems in various fields.

5. Is linear algebra difficult to learn?

Linear algebra can be challenging for some people, as it requires a solid understanding of mathematical concepts and the ability to think abstractly. However, with practice and dedication, anyone can become proficient in this subject. It is a fundamental part of many scientific and technical fields, so it is worth investing time and effort to learn it.