Register to reply

High speed polymerization reaction initiated by the action

Share this thread:
EIRE2003
May1-09, 10:54 AM
P: 110
So whats happening is a high speed polymerization reaction initiated by the action of laser light.

An infrared beam moniters the amount of unreacted acrylate double bonds. But what is an acrylate double bond? Am I correct in saying that a double bond absorbs IR radiation?
The double bond is the bond between a CH2 and a CH, in the paper that I am reading.

My next question is, why use Fourier Transform Infrared spectroscopy over any other spectroscopic technique to determine the amount of unreacted double bonds through time in a sample?
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Marine pest provides advances in maritime anti-fouling and biomedicine
Nature inspires a greener way to make colorful plastics
New catalyst converts carbon dioxide to fuel
chemisttree
May1-09, 03:06 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,724
Quote Quote by EIRE2003 View Post
So whats happening is a high speed polymerization reaction initiated by the action of laser light.

An infrared beam moniters the amount of unreacted acrylate double bonds. But what is an acrylate double bond? Am I correct in saying that a double bond absorbs IR radiation?
That's the one.

The double bond is the bond between a CH2 and a CH, in the paper that I am reading.
Actually the double bond conjugated to the carbonyl is the absorbing species. The carbonyl peak shifts slightly when conjugated to the double bond.

My next question is, why use Fourier Transform Infrared spectroscopy over any other spectroscopic technique to determine the amount of unreacted double bonds through time in a sample?
You can take a FT scan in less than a second vs a scanning IR that might take a few minutes per scan.
EIRE2003
May11-09, 01:05 PM
P: 110
Thank you :)

Register to reply