Register to reply

Help solving nonhomogeneous de

by xtipd
Tags: nonhomogeneous, solving
Share this thread:
xtipd
May7-09, 01:12 AM
P: 7
Hey guys just asking for a bit of help to get me on the right track.

I have the non homogeneous de 4y" + 4y' + y = 3*x*e^x, which also has some inital conditions y(0)=0 and y'(0)=0. but i only need help with getting the particular solution.

Tried method of constant coefficients and it didnt want to work for me.
I end up using: y(p) = A*t*e^t which doent seem right when i substitute in y'(p) and y"(p) into the original equaltion.

Tried method of variation of parameters and i dont think that worked either as in the end i got y(p) = 0.

So far i get the auxilary eq: r^2 + r + 1/4 = 0
=>(r + 1/2) = 0
thus r1 = r2 = -1/2
so y(h) = c1*e^-1/2*t + c2*t*e^-1/2*t

i just need help as to what method i would use to get a the particular solution y(p). from there its gravy :)

thanks in advance
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Physicists discuss quantum pigeonhole principle
Giant crater in Russia's far north sparks mystery
NASA Mars spacecraft prepare for close comet flyby
diazona
May7-09, 01:36 AM
HW Helper
P: 2,155
With respect to the method of constant coefficients: usually whenever there's a polynomial involved, you should include terms for all powers up to the order of the polynomial. In your case, you have y = (constant)*(polynomial)*(exponential), but you only included the linear term in your polynomial - you left out the constant term. Go back and try y(x) = A(x+B)e^x.
xtipd
May7-09, 01:45 AM
P: 7
Quote Quote by diazona View Post
With respect to the method of constant coefficients: usually whenever there's a polynomial involved, you should include terms for all powers up to the order of the polynomial. In your case, you have y = (constant)*(polynomial)*(exponential), but you only included the linear term in your polynomial - you left out the constant term. Go back and try y(x) = A(x+B)e^x.
So obvious now you have pointed that out.

Im all over it like a bad rash now

Thanks heaps

diazona
May7-09, 01:56 AM
HW Helper
P: 2,155
Help solving nonhomogeneous de

I've made that mistake many times myself... ODEs can be annoyingly tricky.

Register to reply