2nd-order Nonhomogeneous Differential Equation

In summary, the conversation is about finding the general solution for the differential equation y”+4y’+4y=t*e^(-2t). The person mentions they were able to find the complementary solution but have not been able to find a particular solution using the method of undetermined coefficients. They are confused as they were taught that this method should work for any sum or product of exponential functions, sines, cosines, and polynomials. However, they have found that the form e^(-2t)*(At+B) does not work in this case. They ask for help in understanding where they went wrong. The expert suggests trying the method of variation of parameters and also points out that the assumed particular solution is actually the general
Elmer Correa

Homework Statement

Finding the general solution:
y”+4y’+4y=t*e^(-2t)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I got the complementary solution pretty easily as y= c1*e^(-2t)+c2*te^(-2t)
I haven’t been able to find a particular solution using the method of undetermined coefficients. I don’t understand why this is since I was taught that any sum or product of exponential functions, sines, cosines, and polynomials for the nonzero term. Yet the form e^(-2t)*(At+B) doesn’t work in this case according to online calculator.
Any help explaining what I’m doing wrong would Ben much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Elmer Correa said:

Homework Statement

Finding the general solution:
y”+4y’+4y=t*e^(-2t)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I got the complementary solution pretty easily as y= c1*e^(-2t)+c2*te^(-2t)
I haven’t been able to find a particular solution using the method of undetermined coefficients. I don’t understand why this is since I was taught that any sum or product of exponential functions, sines, cosines, and polynomials for the nonzero term. Yet the form e^(-2t)*(At+B) doesn’t work in this case according to online calculator.
Any help explaining what I’m doing wrong would Ben much appreciated.
Nobody can help you figure out what you are doing wrong unless you show us what you actually tried.

Anyway, as an alternative to the method of undetermined coefficients you might try the method of variation of parameters. See, eg.,
http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/VariationofParameters.aspx

Finding a particular solution with undetermined coefficient:

upload_2018-4-1_11-15-29.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-1_11-15-29.png
    upload_2018-4-1_11-15-29.png
    87.5 KB · Views: 418
Ray Vickson said:
Nobody can help you figure out what you are doing wrong unless you show us what you actually tried.

Anyway, as an alternative to the method of undetermined coefficients you might try the method of variation of parameters. See, eg.,
http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/VariationofParameters.aspx

Fair enough.
Starting with my assumed form of a particular equation:
y= e^(-2t)*(At+B)
y'=-2e^(-2t)(At+B)+A*e^(-2t)
y''=4e^(-2t)(At+B)-4Ae^(-2t)

Plugging this all back into the original differential equation:
e^(-2t)*(4At+4B-4A-8At-8B+4A+4At+4B)=e^(-2t)*t
4At+4B-4A-8At-8B+4A+4At+4B=t+0
The issue is that I can't equate like terms because everything cancels out, something I was told should never happen if the right side of a second order constant coefficient nonhomogeneous equation is in the form here. What went wrong? Am I making an arithmetic error or is one of my assumptions wrong?

PS: I got the correct answer using variation of parameters, what's frustrating me is that I shouldn't have to use it in this case and I don't understand why I seemingly do have to.

Last edited:
Elmer Correa said:
Fair enough.
Starting with my assumed form of a particular equation:
y= e^(-2t)*(At+B)
The issue is that I can't equate like terms because everything cancels out, something I was told should never happen if the right side of a second order constant coefficient nonhomogeneous equation is in the form here. What went wrong? Am I making an arithmetic error or are one of my assumptions wrong?

Your assumed particular solution is the general solution of the homogeneous equation, no wonder that it resulted in zero when substituted into the left hand side of the differential equation.
According to Post #3 (iii) use y=t2(At+B)e-2t as particular solution.

Last edited:
ehild said:
Your assumed particular solution is the general solution of the homogeneous equation, no wonder that it resulted in zero when substituted into the left hand side of the differential equation.
According to Post #3 (iii) use y=t2(At+B)e-2t as particular solution.
I'm not quite sure why I didn't look at your original post more closely, thanks.

1. What is a 2nd-order nonhomogeneous differential equation?

A 2nd-order nonhomogeneous differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves the second derivative of an unknown function, along with other terms that are not related to the function itself. These types of equations are commonly used in physics and engineering to model various systems and phenomena.

2. How is a nonhomogeneous differential equation different from a homogeneous one?

A homogeneous differential equation is one in which all terms involve the unknown function and its derivatives, while a nonhomogeneous differential equation also includes terms that are not related to the unknown function. This means that the solution to a homogeneous equation will be a single function, while the solution to a nonhomogeneous equation will also include a particular solution that accounts for the additional terms.

3. What is the process for solving a 2nd-order nonhomogeneous differential equation?

The process for solving a 2nd-order nonhomogeneous differential equation involves first finding the complementary solution, which is the solution to the corresponding homogeneous equation. Then, a particular solution is found by using the method of undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters. The general solution is then obtained by combining the complementary and particular solutions.

4. What are some real-world applications of 2nd-order nonhomogeneous differential equations?

2nd-order nonhomogeneous differential equations are commonly used in physics and engineering to model systems such as oscillating springs, electrical circuits, and motion under the influence of forces. They are also used in economics to model population growth and other dynamic systems.

5. Are there any software programs available to solve 2nd-order nonhomogeneous differential equations?

Yes, there are many software programs available that can solve 2nd-order nonhomogeneous differential equations. Some examples include Mathematica, MATLAB, and Maple. These programs use numerical methods to find solutions, making it easier and faster to solve complex equations and obtain accurate results.