Hall Effect Problem

by Schniz2
Tags: effect, hall
Share this thread:
Schniz2
May17-09, 07:42 AM
P: 20
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Show that the Hall voltage reverses sign if either the current or magnetic field direction is reversed, but the voltage offset reverses sign only if the current direction is reversed. Use the information to confirm the validity of equation see eq1 image

2. Relevant equations

see eq 2 image

3. The attempt at a solution

Tried lots of algebra but got nowhere? im thinking maybe there is an intuitive explanation? been tring the right hand rule all night and cant work it out!

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
eq1.jpg   eq 2.jpg  
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
nickjer
May17-09, 12:36 PM
P: 675
It is easy to show that the Hall voltage reverses sign if either the current or magnetic field change direction using the right hand rule. You could also even show it using Equation 2 you listed.

But I am not sure what the voltage offset is, so I can't help you there.
Schniz2
May18-09, 12:44 AM
P: 20
Actually, i thought about it more and i think i finally kind of understand it... too messy to put into words but it sort of makes sense

nickjer - the voltage offset eliminates the error due to misaligned voltage measurement probes.. you take one hall voltage measurement, reverse the magnetic field and then take another, you then use the equation Vh=0.5*(Vh1-Vh2).

thanks.

Register to reply