Distribution of charges as a result of the Hall Effect

In summary, the conversation discusses the impact of a B field on the current running from q0 to q1, as well as the precision needed for measuring the Hall voltage and the difficulty of carrying out the experiment at home. The Lorentz force is explained as the reason for the electrons taking a path closer to one side of the plate, creating a Hall voltage. The positioning of the leads is crucial and a potentiometer may be needed to neutralize the voltage drop. The experiment requires a very thin plate and may be difficult to conduct at home.
Blah God
TL;DR Summary
Arm chair physics: I can't afford to set up this experiment at the moment (I don't even own a multimeter), but I am curious about the distribution of charges as a result of the hall effect at the top of a piece of metal in a uniform B field.
hall-effect-distribution.png

Circuit runs from q0 to q1, some E field (our charge source/sink)

1. Is the current running from q0 to q1 impacted by the existence of the B field? For example, if there were no B field, current would flow from q0 to q1, let's call it I0. When we flip on the B field what effect is there on the current?

2. If I were to use a multimeter to measure the Hall Voltage, how much would the positioning of my lead matter? Specifically, what does the charge distribution look like as a result of the magnetic field?

I guessed in my picture above, but the longer I think about it the more the picture tends to change, hence why I am now consulting the experts.

Thank you for any help.

Attachments

• hall-effect-distribution.png
    hall-effect-distribution.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 113
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
1. Due to Lorentz force electrons in the current take a path closer to the one side of the plate. This creates a voltage across the plate called the Hall voltage.
Here is an explanation for the Lorentz force: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_force

2. Yes the lead placement has to be very precise, they need to be exactly one across of another. In fact since the measured voltage is in micro volts it is impossible to get it right. To overcome this you need a potentiometer on one side to neutralize the voltage drop due to current passing through the plate.

Overall this experiment is very hard or even impossible to carry out at home. We've tried it at lab and it didn't work. Also the plate has to be very thin in order of nanometers.

I hope this helps. If you need any further explanation feel free to ask.

Likes Stanoje

1. What is the Hall Effect?

The Hall Effect is a phenomenon in which a magnetic field perpendicular to an electric current causes a voltage difference perpendicular to both the current and the magnetic field.

2. How does the Hall Effect work?

When an electric current flows through a conductor, the moving charges experience a force due to the magnetic field. This force causes the charges to accumulate on one side of the conductor, creating a voltage difference perpendicular to the current and the magnetic field.

3. What causes the distribution of charges in the Hall Effect?

The distribution of charges in the Hall Effect is caused by the Lorentz force, which is the force experienced by a charged particle moving through a magnetic field. This force causes the charges to accumulate on one side of the conductor, creating a voltage difference.

4. What is the significance of the Hall Effect in practical applications?

The Hall Effect is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in sensors for measuring magnetic fields, in electronic devices for controlling current flow, and in the study of materials with unique electronic properties.

5. How is the Hall Effect related to the concept of charge carriers?

The Hall Effect is related to the concept of charge carriers, as it is the movement of these charged particles that creates the voltage difference in the Hall Effect. The type and concentration of charge carriers in a material can affect the strength and direction of the Hall Effect.