by Niles
Tags: analysis, complex, infinity
Share this thread:
Niles
Jun4-09, 01:55 AM
P: 1,863
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Hi all.

We we look at [itex]z\rightarrow \infty[/itex], does this include both [itex]z=x[/itex] for [itex]x \rightarrow \infty[/itex] AND [itex]z=iy[/itex] for [itex]y\rightarrow \infty[/itex]? So, I guess what I am asking is, when [itex]z\rightarrow \infty[/itex], am I allowed to go to infinity from both the real and imaginary axis? If yes, then this implies that [itex]i\cdot \infty = \infty[/itex]?

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,
Niles.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
An interesting glimpse into how future state-of-the-art electronics might work
Tissue regeneration using anti-inflammatory nanomolecules
C2D2 fighting corrosion
HallsofIvy
Jun4-09, 05:04 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,510
Yes, the complex plane has a single "point at infinity". Topologically, every set of the form {z | |z|> R} is a neighborhood of the "point at infinity". That does NOT mean that "[itex]i\cdot\infty= \infty[/itex]". This is purely "topological" or "geometric". Infinity is NOT a complex number and we do not multiply it.

Added: that is the most common way to extend the complex numbers (the "one-point compactification") and makes the complex plane topologically equivalent to a sphere, but it is also possible to add a "point at infinity" at the end of every ray from 0 (The "Stone-Cech" compactication). That makes the complex plane topologically equivalent to a closed disk. However, both of those are topological (geometric) concepts and do not change the algebra of the complex numbers. We still do not define arithmetic involving "infinity".
Niles
Jun7-09, 04:29 AM
Thanks for replying. Is this single point [itex]\infty[/itex] or [itex]i\cdot\infty[/itex]? Or should I understand it as if they are both this single point?

HallsofIvy
Jun7-09, 04:37 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,510
Complex Analysis: Infinity

That single point is called "infinity". You will sometimes see "[itex]i\cdot\infty[/itex]" as shorthand for [itex]\lim_{b\to\infty}0+ bi[/itex] but the limit itself is just the point at infinity.
Niles
Jun8-09, 11:52 AM
Thanks. It is very kind of you to help me.
Niles
Jun15-09, 06:32 AM
Hmm, I seem to have stumpled upon something, which is quite odd:

Lets look at the function [itex]
f(z) = \sqrt{z^2+4}
[/itex]. This function has a simple pole at [itex]z_0=\infty[/itex], but we also have the limits

[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to \infty } \left( {x^2 + 4} \right)^{1/2} = \infty \\
\mathop {\lim }\limits_{y \to \infty } \left( {(iy)^2 + 4} \right)^{1/2} = i \cdot \infty \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

and hence the limits are both infinite, and thus there is no singularity according to the limits - but we just found a pole at infinity. What part of my reasoning is wrong here?
Count Iblis
Jun15-09, 09:07 AM
P: 2,157
The fact that the limits are infinite is consistent with there being a pole. You can compute the residue at the pole, e.g. by first using the transformation z ---> 1/z to move the (alleged) pole to the origin and then compute the residue at zero.
Hurkyl
Jun15-09, 09:48 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,091
There are many different compactifications of the complex numbers -- essentially, ways to add points "at infinity" to make calculus behave nicely.

The most common is the projective complex numbers. In that number system, there is only one infinite number, and [itex]x \cdot \infty = \infty[/itex] for all nonzero complex numbers x. ([itex]0 \cdot \infty[/itex] is not in the domain of [itex]\cdot[/itex] -- i.e. it's undefined) This can be pictured as the Riemann sphere.

Another one that crops up sometimes is to consider the set of all [itex]a + b \mathbf{i}[/itex] where a and b are extended real numbers. The extended real numbers are the ones you're probably familiar with from calculus (although you weren't taught to use them as numbers) -- it has two infinite numbers called [itex]+\infty[/itex] and [itex]-\infty[/itex]. Topologically, this looks like a square. (In the same sense that the closed interval [itex][-\infty, \infty][/itex] has the same shape as the interval [itex][0, 1][/itex])

Register to reply