Improper Integral Using Complex Analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Jordan's Lemma and the "bounded integral method" to solve a problem involving computing the integral ##\int_{-\infty}^\infty \space \frac{e^{-2ix}}{x^2+4}dx##. The person asking the question tried using the bounded integral method, but it did not work and they were wondering why. The expert explains that the method does not have a name and it involves taking the double limit of ##R_1## and ##R_2## to infinity and completing the contour in such a way that the integration over the remainder of the contour goes to zero. They also mention that it is important to check that the integration over the remainder
transmini

Homework Statement

Compute the Integral: ##\int_{-\infty}^\infty \space \frac{e^{-2ix}}{x^2+4}dx##

Homework Equations

##\int_C \space f(z) = 2\pi i \sum \space res \space f(z)##

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I tried doing this using a bounded integral but couldn't seem to get the right answer from there. I could get it using Jordan's Lemma on a semi circular curve traced in the lower half plane. I'm just curious why the original approach didn't work.

$$\int_{-R}^R \space \frac{e^{-2ix}}{x^2+4}dx + \int_{C_R} \space \frac{e^{-2iz}}{z^2+4}dz = 2\pi i (\lim_{z\to 2i} (z-2i)\frac{e^{-2iz}}{z^2+4}) = 2\pi i (\lim_{z\to 2i} \frac{e^{-2iz}}{z+2i})$$

$$|\int_{C_R} \space \frac{e^{-2iz}}{z^2+4}dz| \leq \int_{C_R} \space |\frac{e^{-2iz}}{z^2+4}|dz \leq \int_{C_R} \space \frac{|e^{-2iz}|}{|z+2i||z-2i|}dz \leq \int_{C_R} \space \frac{1}{(R-2i)(R+2i)}dz$$
$$|\int_{C_R} \space \frac{e^{-2iz}}{z^2+4}dz| \leq \frac{1}{(R-2i)(R+2i)} \int_{C_R} \space dz = \frac{1}{(R-2i)(R+2i)} \pi R = \frac{\pi R}{(R-2i)(R+2i)}$$
which goes to 0 as R approaches infinity. The last inequality in the 2nd line comes from using the form of the triangle inequality saying ##|a+b| \geq |a|-|b|##.

Then as ## R\to\infty##,
$$\int_{-\infty}^\infty \space \frac{e^{-2ix}}{x^2+4}dx + \int_{C_\infty} \space \frac{e^{-2iz}}{z^2+4}dz = 2\pi i (\lim_{z\to 2i} \frac{e^{-2iz}}{z+2i})$$
$$\int_{-\infty}^\infty \space \frac{e^{-2ix}}{x^2+4}dx + 0 = 2\pi i \frac{e^{-2i*2i}}{2i+2i} = 2\pi i \frac{e^4}{4i}$$
$$\int_{-\infty}^\infty \space \frac{e^{-2ix}}{x^2+4}dx = \frac{\pi e^4}{2}$$
where using Jordan's Lemma in the negatively traced curve gives ##\frac{\pi}{2e^4}##. Any ideas as to why the bounded integral method does not work, or where I made a mistake in the derivation at? Thanks ahead of time.

Physics news on Phys.org
transmini said:

Homework Statement

Compute the Integral: ##\int_{-\infty}^\infty \space \frac{e^{-2ix}}{x^2+4}dx##

Homework Equations

##\int_C \space f(z) = 2\pi i \sum \space res \space f(z)##

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I tried doing this using a bounded integral but couldn't seem to get the right answer from there. I could get it using Jordan's Lemma on a semi circular curve traced in the lower half plane. I'm just curious why the original approach didn't work.

What do you mean by the "bounded integral" method? I have never heard of it.

Ray Vickson said:
What do you mean by the "bounded integral" method? I have never heard of it.
Rather than just using Jordan's Lemma to say an integral goes to zero, we try to find an upper bound for the integral instead. For these problems the upper bound depended on the radius of the contour, and then as you took that radius to infinity, the upper bound went to 0, so the integral had to go to zero. The 2nd and 3rd lines of integrals are what I was referring to. I'm sure its not called "the bounded integral method", I just didn't know how else to refer to it.

transmini said:
Rather than just using Jordan's Lemma to say an integral goes to zero, we try to find an upper bound for the integral instead. For these problems the upper bound depended on the radius of the contour, and then as you took that radius to infinity, the upper bound went to 0, so the integral had to go to zero. The 2nd and 3rd lines of integrals are what I was referring to. I'm sure its not called "the bounded integral method", I just didn't know how else to refer to it.

I am not sure the method has a name; it is just using the definition
$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(x) \, dx = \lim_{R_1,R_2 \to \infty} \int_{-R_1}^{R_2} f(x) \, dx.$$
Usually we can take ##R_1 = R_2 = R## in that definition, but we should not do that automatically because in some cases the double limit (with independent ##R_1,R_2##) may not exist, while the ##R_1 = R_2## limit does exist---it is called the Cauchy Principal Value. Anyway, we then try to complete the contour in such a way that the integration along the rest of the contour (joining ##R_2 + i 0## to ##-R_1 + i 0## out in the complex plane) goes to zero. It is more-or-less obvious that we can take ##R_1 = R_2 = R## in your case.

What we should never, ever do is just automatically write the integral as ##\int_C f(z) \, dz## without first checking somehow that the integration over the remainder of the contour goes to zero.

Ray Vickson said:
I am not sure the method has a name; it is just using the definition
$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(x) \, dx = \lim_{R_1,R_2 \to \infty} \int_{-R_1}^{R_2} f(x) \, dx.$$
Usually we can take ##R_1 = R_2 = R## in that definition, but we should not do that automatically because in some cases the double limit (with independent ##R_1,R_2##) may not exist, while the ##R_1 = R_2## limit does exist---it is called the Cauchy Principal Value. Anyway, we then try to complete the contour in such a way that the integration along the rest of the contour (joining ##R_2 + i 0## to ##-R_1 + i 0## out in the complex plane) goes to zero. It is more-or-less obvious that we can take ##R_1 = R_2 = R## in your case.

What we should never, ever do is just automatically write the integral as ##\int_C f(z) \, dz## without first checking somehow that the integration over the remainder of the contour goes to zero.
Is that not what I did when I came up with the bound ##|\int_{C_R} \space \frac{e^{-2iz}}{z^2+4}dz| \leq \frac{\pi R}{(R-2i)(R+2i)}## which goes to 0 as ##R\to\infty##?

transmini said:
Is that not what I did when I came up with the bound ##|\int_{C_R} \space \frac{e^{-2iz}}{z^2+4}dz| \leq \frac{\pi R}{(R-2i)(R+2i)}## which goes to 0 as ##R\to\infty##?
Yes, of course it is, but that did not deal with my original question, which is what you meant by the term "bounded integral method". As far as I can make out, you are just using the residue method correctly, so trying to rename it only leads to confusion.

Ray Vickson said:
Yes, of course it is, but that did not deal with my original question, which is what you meant by the term "bounded integral method". As far as I can make out, you are just using the residue method correctly, so trying to rename it only leads to confusion.
I said what I was talking about in my first reply. But the whole the answer I get using this method is incorrect, the whole residue method and showing the integral over the contour is bounded by 0. I get the wrong value for my residue doing it this way. I believe the value for the residue at the singularity in the semicircle is correct, but wrong for this given situation.

transmini said:
I said what I was talking about in my first reply. But the whole the answer I get using this method is incorrect, the whole residue method and showing the integral over the contour is bounded by 0. I get the wrong value for my residue doing it this way. I believe the value for the residue at the singularity in the semicircle is correct, but wrong for this given situation.

If you are using a contour closed in the lower half plane, as you should - it's where the exponential has a negative real part, then why are you computing the residue from the pole ##2i## in the upper half plane?

transmini said:
I don't know what you mean when you say that "the residue at the singularity ...is correct, but wrong for this given situation".

When I do the method, I use a correct residue and get the correct answer (= ##\pi e^{-4}/2##), with no ambiguities or confusion whatsoever. Basically, I apply the Cauchy integral
$$\oint_C \frac{f(z)}{z-z_0} \, dz = - 2 \pi i f(z_0),$$
with ##f(z) = e^{-2 i z}/(z - 2 i)##, ##z_0 = - 2i## and with ##C## a clockwise semi-circle or clockwise-oriented rectangle in the lower half-plane. (Using a rectangle is a lot easier than using a semi-circle.)

Last edited:
Dick said:
If you are using a contour closed in the lower half plane, as you should - it's where the exponential has a negative real part, then why are you computing the residue from the pole ##2i## in the upper half plane?
That's my question. Why does it HAVE to be in the lower half plane? I showed the upper half plane was bounded by zero, which obviously isn't true otherwise the upper half plane would work. I assume there is a flaw in showing that the upper half plane is bounded.

transmini said:
That's my question. Why does it HAVE to be in the lower half plane? I showed the upper half plane was bounded by zero, which obviously isn't true otherwise the upper half plane would work. I assume there is a flaw in showing that the upper half plane is bounded.

The problem with closing it in the upper half plane is that the exponential isn't bounded by 1.

Dick said:
The problem with closing it in the upper half plane is that the exponential isn't bounded by 1.
How so? ##|re^{i\theta}|=|r|## no matter where it is placed, is it not? So in this case ##r=1##, ##\theta = -2iz## and ##|e^{-2iz}| = 1##?

transmini said:

Yes, it has to be the lower half-plane: if you have ##e^{i a z}## with ##z = x + i y##, the exponential equals ##e^{i a x} e^{-a y}##. Thus when ##a > 0## you need to complete in the upper half plane (to get a damped exponential ##e^{-ay}##) and when ##a < 0##---as in your problem--- you need to go into the lower half-plane in order to get damping.

Last edited:
transmini said:
How so? ##|re^{i\theta}|=|r|## no matter where it is placed, is it not? So in this case ##r=1##, ##\theta = -2iz## and ##|e^{-2iz}| = 1##?

##\theta## supposed to be a real angle. Try finding ##e^{-2iz}## when ##z=8i##.

Those last 2 replies helped a lot with that. Especially since I wasn't thinking and didn't think about ##\theta## having to be a real number. Thanks for the help.

1. What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral where one or both of the limits of integration are infinite, or where the integrand itself is undefined at some point within the limits. This type of integral may not have a finite value, and therefore requires specialized techniques, such as complex analysis, to evaluate.

2. How does complex analysis help with evaluating improper integrals?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of complex numbers. It provides powerful tools for evaluating integrals, including the use of contour integration and the Cauchy Residue Theorem. These techniques allow for the evaluation of improper integrals that may not have a finite value using traditional methods.

3. Can any improper integral be evaluated using complex analysis?

No, not all improper integrals can be evaluated using complex analysis. The integrand must have certain properties, such as being analytic within the limits of integration, in order for these techniques to be applicable. Additionally, the contour used for integration must be carefully chosen to avoid certain singularities.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using complex analysis for evaluating improper integrals?

One potential drawback is that complex analysis can be a more advanced and specialized technique, requiring a strong understanding of complex numbers and functions. Additionally, the process of choosing a contour for integration can be complex and time-consuming.

5. Can complex analysis be used for other types of integrals, or just improper integrals?

Complex analysis can be used for a wide range of integrals, including definite and indefinite integrals. It can also be used for integrals with complex-valued functions and integrals in multiple dimensions. However, it is most commonly used for evaluating improper integrals that may not have a finite value using traditional methods.