A balloon and a spring..find extension

by brunettegurl
Tags: balloon, extension, springfind
Share this thread:
brunettegurl
Jun9-09, 04:43 PM
P: 138
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A light spring of constant k = 85.0 N/m rests vertically on a table (as shown in part a) of the figure below). A 2.25 g balloon is filled with helium (density = 0.180 kg/m3) to a volume of 5.95 m3 and is then connected to the spring, causing it to stretch as shown in part b). Determine the extension distance L when the balloon is in equilibrium.

2. Relevant equations

F= k[tex]\Delta[/tex]x
F=[tex]\rho[/tex]A

3. The attempt at a solution

so i tried to find the weight of the balloon by multiplying Volume of the balloon to the density to the density and then adding it to the mass of the balloon and multiplying it to 9.8m/s2. this answer of 10.51785 i divided by k (85N/m) and got an answer of 0.124 m..this was wrong ..can someone tell me what is wrong with this thinking
Attached Thumbnails
sb-pic1554.png  
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
cepheid
Jun9-09, 04:51 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 5,196
What's wrong with this thinking is that the weight of the balloon is NOT the force that is pulling UP on the spring to stretch it. You need to figure out with what force your balloon is being pushed upward.
brunettegurl
Jun9-09, 05:58 PM
P: 138
would it be the difference of the weight of the balloon and the air that it displaces to stretch the spring upward??

Register to reply