Bouyancy force -- What mass can the balloon carry?

In summary, Barometric formula can be used to calculate the pressure at a particular height. However, you must also include the weight of the balloon and the buoyant force to get the correct answer.
Taylan
Homework Statement
a balloon is filled with helium. Volume of the balloon is 1000m^3 and the density of helium is 0.1785kg/m^3. The balloon will be released. the air pressure at the bottom is 1013hPa and the density of the air is 1.21kg/m^3.

a) what mass can the balloon can carry at the maximum?
b) to what height can the balloon reach, if its volume remains constant and the mass it is carrying is 500kg?
Relevant Equations
Fbouyancy= mg = density air * volume air *g

P0= p0 e ^ (-p0gh/p0)
In a I used FBouyancy - FBalloon -F mass = 0

rewrote mass as a product of density and volume to obtain;

m= v(densityair - densityHe)

m= 1031.5kg.I am stuck in part b. I have this formula called Barometric formula which ı should use;

P = P0 * e((-P0*g*h)/ P0

So what I understood is that this formula would give me the pressure at a particular height but I am not sure about how to apply this on what is asked ie not sure about how to find how high the balloon can go up. can you give me any tips please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it only pressure that varies with height? The air also gets thinner as the balloon goes higher. What does "thinner" mean in terms of density?

kuruman said:
Is it only pressure that varies with height? The air also gets thinner as the balloon goes higher. What does "thinner" mean in terms of density?
So it means density of air decreases too

Right. At value of the air density will the balloon stop rising?

Taylan said:
So it means density of air decreases too

I guess when density of air = density of helium

That would be the case if the balloon carried no load.

Likes Taylan
Taylan said:
I guess when density of air = density of helium
Hm so i have to use the 500kg somehow. Can you give me more tip please? Not sure how to include the 500 kg

Assume that the buoyant force does not change from part (a) and draw a free body diagram of the balloon when it is hovering at some height with 500 kg hanging from it. Also assume that the buoyant force on the 500 kg mass is negligible.

On edit: Also you need to fix the barometric formula. You cannot have P0 in both numerator and denominator of the argument of the exponential.

Last edited:
Likes Taylan
I am confused by your barometric formula because you seem to be using P for both density and pressure.
In a static air situation and treating air as compressible, we can use the ideal gas law to get

1) ##\rho=\frac{PM}{RT}##

where P is pressure
M is molar mass =28.97
R is the ideal gas constant = 8.31
T is temperature (can assume to be about ##298^{0}K##)

Because the weight of air must cancel out with the changing pressure, we can use the relationship
2) ##\frac{dP}{dh}=-\rho g=\frac{-PMg}{RT}##

Solving gives

3) ##P=P_{0}e^{\frac{-Mgh}{RT}}##

Using equation 1, we get the relationship

4) ##\rho _{0}=\frac{P_{0}M}{RT}##

Substituting back into equation 3 we get

5) ##P=P_{0}e^{\frac{-\rho _{0}gh}{P_{0}}}##

We can assume that ##\frac{P}{\rho }=\frac{P_{0}}{\rho _{0}}## so we get

6) ##\rho =\rho _{0}e^{\frac{-\rho _{0}gh}{P_{0}}}##

Which is probably the formula you were trying to get at.

You already have the weight of the balloon and 500 kg mass so now you just
need to set that equal to the buoyancy force which is ##\rho gV##
Plugging in equation 6 for density of air, you can solve for height.

Likes Taylan
thanks a lot!

What is buoyancy force?

Buoyancy force is the upward force that a fluid exerts on an object that is submerged in it. It is caused by the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the object, with the greater pressure at the bottom pushing up on the object.

How is buoyancy force calculated?

The buoyancy force is calculated by multiplying the density of the fluid by the volume of the displaced fluid and the acceleration due to gravity (Fb = ρVg). This equation is known as Archimedes' principle.

What factors affect the buoyancy force on a balloon?

The buoyancy force on a balloon is affected by the density of the gas inside the balloon, the volume of the balloon, and the density of the surrounding air. The shape and weight of the balloon itself can also play a role.

What is the relationship between buoyancy force and the mass a balloon can carry?

The buoyancy force is directly proportional to the mass of the fluid displaced by the balloon. This means that the more mass the balloon displaces, the greater the buoyancy force and the more weight it can carry.

What other factors should be considered when determining the mass a balloon can carry?

In addition to the buoyancy force, other factors such as the strength and size of the balloon material, the altitude and atmospheric conditions, and the overall design and stability of the balloon should be taken into account when determining the maximum mass a balloon can carry.