Centripetal Force question

by Fisicks
Tags: centripetal, force
Fisicks
Jun12-09, 06:53 PM
P: 85
"A 0.400-kg pendulum bob passes through the lowest part of its path at a speed of 3.00 m/s.
What is the tension in the pendulum cable at this point of the pendulum is .8 meters long?"

I would like to ask for some help on understanding centripetal force in this particular situation. I realize gravity is pulling down on the bob, while tension is counteracting gravity, and centripetal force is also counteracting gravity.

I would like someone to explain to me why the sum of the forces here is the total centripetal force, or Tension minus force of gravity.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
A 'quantum leap' in encryption technology
Using antineutrinos to monitor nuclear reactors
Bake your own droplet lens
Doc Al
Jun12-09, 07:03 PM
Mentor
P: 40,907
Quote Quote by Fisicks View Post
I realize gravity is pulling down on the bob, while tension is counteracting gravity, and centripetal force is also counteracting gravity.
It sounds like you are thinking of centripetal force as if it were a third force on the bob. It's not. The only forces acting on the bob are tension and gravity. "Centripetal force" is just a name for the radial component of the net force.
Fisicks
Jun12-09, 07:19 PM
P: 85
thank you very much, that's why i was so confused. Centripetal force is just another name for net force, but in angular motion!

diazona
Jun12-09, 07:22 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,156

Centripetal Force question

Quote Quote by Fisicks View Post
thank you very much, that's why i was so confused. Centripetal force is just another name for net force, but in angular motion!
For the radial component, yes. You could have a tangential component of force too, but it's not centripetal.

Register to reply