Genetic deformities (warning may be disturbing)

by junglebeast
Tags: deformities, disturbing, genetic, warning
junglebeast
Jun14-09, 12:16 AM
P: 462
I think that we can learn a lot about genetic coding by analyzing extreme cases of deformity. For example, it's very common to see extra appendages -- this tells us that there is a low-level of redundancy in the code, and that there are just a few bits that control where a leg module should be formed...something like calling a subroutine. Also, notice that additional legs never break symmetry. Indeed every organism uses symmetry to condense coding.

kitten cyclops

two headed kitten

kitten with two mouths

black albinos (sadly these people are often exiled or killed in some places)

chicken with four legs

lamb with 7? 8? legs

hydra

another hydra

cow with extra legs

four legged duck (4 legs good, 2 legs bad?)

four legged duckling

butt-head cow

extra legs

woman with thin waist

Lakshmi the 8-legged girl

Dede "tree-man"

Huang, Chinese elephant man

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/6678/mogwtp.jpg
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA's space station Robonaut finally getting legs
Free the seed: OSSI nurtures growing plants without patent barriers
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
russ_watters
Jun14-09, 12:23 AM
Mentor
P: 22,001
How many of those are genetic errors vs just unformed conjoined twins?
humanino
Jun14-09, 12:31 AM
P: 2,828
This is a mix of very different cases. And tree man has been cured.

junglebeast
Jun14-09, 12:35 AM

Genetic deformities (warning may be disturbing)

Quote Quote by humanino View Post
This is a mix of very different cases. And tree man has been cured.
His condition is improved (through surgery), but he looks far from cured...and warts have a tendency to grow back.
Cyrus
Jun14-09, 12:38 AM
P: 4,780
It's interesting that black people can become albino (a white person), but a white person does not become a black person.

Perhaps white people are genetic mutations black skin. (Actually, its more of a dark redish skin we are derived from. Black people are a darker version, white people a lighter version - or so I was told on a discovery show a while ago).
gravenewworld
Jun14-09, 12:45 AM
P: 1,389
Ever heard of a harlequin baby?

It's actually quite a fascinating disease.
Cyrus
Jun14-09, 12:47 AM
P: 4,780
Quote Quote by gravenewworld View Post
Ever heard of a harlequin baby?

It's actually quite a fascinating disease.
Ugh! They should put that baby down once its born (or just abort it before its born) <yuck>

Which leads me to ask, if they know a baby will be retarded before its born: why don't they just abort it? What is the point of giving birth to a handicapped baby: they only sad reason I can think of is "all Life is precious" nonsense.
gravenewworld
Jun14-09, 12:49 AM
P: 1,389
Quote Quote by Cyrus View Post
Ugh! They should put that baby down once its born (or just abort it before its born) <yuck>

Which leads me to ask, if they know a baby will be retarded before its born: why don't they just abort it?

Because they can still live

http://www.10news.com/health/3919722/detail.html

He survived into adulthood and is actually a triathlete.

For Ryan, managing his condition is a full-time job. Because his skin is constantly shedding, he needs to consume 7,500 calories a day. He tube feeds himself pure protein every night while he sleeps.
junglebeast
Jun14-09, 12:59 AM

Which leads me to ask, if they know a baby will be retarded before its born: why don't they just abort it? What is the point of giving birth to a handicapped baby: they only sad reason I can think of is "all Life is precious" nonsense.
Exactly, it all comes down to that "life is precision" bunk. Personally I find it inhumane to put a human being through the suffering of life in that condition. At the stage of birth, a baby hasn't developed enough of a sense of self or unique identity to be precious...even if it does have some primordial sense of awareness.
FireSky86
Jun14-09, 12:59 AM
P: 10

Agreed.
TheStatutoryApe
Jun14-09, 01:05 AM
P: 1,549

Not everyone gets very good prenatal care and even with minimal care I'm not sure these things would be caught right away.
Moonbear
Jun14-09, 10:23 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,257
Quote Quote by russ_watters View Post
How many of those are genetic errors vs just unformed conjoined twins?
Precisely. Even those that are not examples of conjoined twins, some are also developmental defects that can occur for reasons unrelated to genetics. A mother exposed to a toxin or with a disruption of blood flow to the placenta at a particular stage of development can lead to many abnormalities too.

Register to reply