Can mathematical beauty lead to a better understanding of physical laws?

• Thread starter Jarwulf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vacuum
In summary, Coleman and de Luccia's paper explores the concept of false vacuum and its potential catastrophic consequences, including the possibility of a vacuum decay that would make life and chemistry as we know it impossible. They further consider the idea that the universe we live in may have a zero cosmological constant, making the vacuum-collapsed bubble unstable. However, there is uncertainty in their calculations and it is possible that the presence of a small positive cosmological constant could change the outcome. The proposal is that there is a quantum tunneling event that causes an expanding bubble of true vacuum to appear, but this is a controversial idea and not all scientists agree with it. Ultimately, the search for mathematical beauty in physical law is often tied to Occam's
Jarwulf
I'm having trouble understanding this part of a wikipedia article on false vacuumIn their paper, Coleman and de Luccia noted:
The possibility that we are living in a false vacuum has never been a cheering one to contemplate. Vacuum decay is the ultimate ecological catastrophe; in the new vacuum there are new constants of nature; after vacuum decay, not only is life as we know it impossible, so is chemistry as we know it. However, one could always draw stoic comfort from the possibility that perhaps in the course of time the new vacuum would sustain, if not life as we know it, at least some structures capable of knowing joy. This possibility has now been eliminated.

I don't understand the last part. Are they saying that no large scale matter structures can exist outside of a false vacuum? How would they know? I looked at the article at

http://prola.aps.org/pdf/PRD/v21/i12/p3305_1

and I don't see an explanation of that conclusion. I can email the article to anybody who doesn't have access

Last edited by a moderator:
Space news on Phys.org
Here's a public version of the article: http://www.slac.stanford.edu/pubs/slacpubs/2000/slac-pub-2463.html

It looks like they are assuming that the universe in which we live has zero cosmological constant, which would, in turn, make the vacuum-collapsed bubble into anti de Sitter space, which causes it to be dynamically unstable. Their calculations may not be valid if the current universe has a small but positive cosmological constant.

Last edited by a moderator:
And what would the interface between the two states look like? Would there not need to be a higher-energy maximum there, which would be unstable? Or are they saying the entire universe might flip to the metastable state? If so, it seems there would need to be a finite non-zero time during which different parts of the universe had the different states. Also, if that's what they are saying, then even not considering the transition period, that would change the total energy of the universe. If I understand what they are saying, then I suspect it is wrong even if there isn't a cosmological constant.

fleem said:
And what would the interface between the two states look like? Would there not need to be a higher-energy maximum there, which would be unstable? Or are they saying the entire universe might flip to the metastable state? If so, it seems there would need to be a finite non-zero time during which different parts of the universe had the different states. Also, if that's what they are saying, then even not considering the transition period, that would change the total energy of the universe. If I understand what they are saying, then I suspect it is wrong even if there isn't a cosmological constant.
Well, you might want to read their paper a bit. At least the introduction. It explains rather clearly the picture of what is going on. The proposal is that there is a quantum tunneling event somewhere in the universe that hops to the true vacuum, which causes an expanding bubble of true vacuum to appear.

I don't care for that proposition. I perceive no issues with the observable universe that require exquisite mathematical beauty. The most appealing theories of how the universe behaves tend to be ugly and complicated.

Last edited:
Chronos said:
I don't care for that proposition. I perceive no issues with the observable universe that require exquisite mathematical beauty. The most appealing theories of how the universe behaves tend to be ugly and complicated.
That depends upon what you mean. In a sense, though, the search for mathematical beauty in physical law is just another way of looking at Occam's Razor. Typically the consequences of the simple laws, of course, are ugly and complicated. But the laws themselves can often be stated simply, and the search for ways to state said laws even more simply has often led to great advances in theoretical physics.

Related to Can mathematical beauty lead to a better understanding of physical laws?

1. What is a vacuum metastability event?

A vacuum metastability event, also known as vacuum decay, is a theoretical concept in particle physics that suggests the current state of the universe may not be the most stable and could potentially transition into a more stable state at any time.

2. What causes a vacuum metastability event?

The cause of a vacuum metastability event is not fully understood, but it is thought to be triggered by quantum fluctuations or a collision with a high-energy particle, which could cause the energy of the vacuum to decrease and lead to the transition into a lower-energy state.

3. Is a vacuum metastability event dangerous?

Based on current scientific understanding, a vacuum metastability event is not considered to be dangerous. Even if it were to occur, it would happen on a microscopic scale and would not have any immediate impact on our daily lives or the Earth as a whole.

4. Can a vacuum metastability event be prevented?

Since the cause of a vacuum metastability event is still unknown, it is not possible to prevent it from happening. However, some scientists are actively researching ways to potentially detect and possibly even manipulate these events in the future.

5. Has a vacuum metastability event ever occurred before?

There is no evidence to suggest that a vacuum metastability event has ever occurred before. However, scientists continue to study this concept and look for any signs of such events in the universe, as it could provide valuable insights into the nature of the universe and the laws of physics.