Constructing an irreducible polynomial in Z_{p^(m+1)}

• Thread starter A-ManESL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomial
In summary, a member of the PF forum is seeking help with understanding a theorem in a book about finite commutative rings. The theorem involves constructing a unique, irreducible monic polynomial that divides x^k-1 in certain rings. The proof involves using Hensel's Lemma and showing that the polynomial with roots as p-th powers of the roots of h(x) divides x^k-1 and is equal to h_m(x) modulo p^m. The member is having trouble understanding why this polynomial is irreducible and is asking for clarification. They also mention that the proof goes on to establish the uniqueness of this polynomial.
A-ManESL
Hello PF members
This is my first post. It is rather complicated to understand but I request you to bear with me.

The Problem: I have a theorem in my book, the proof of which I do not understand fully. The theorem may be viewed http://books.google.co.in/books?id=...9jZDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1" (The book is: Finite commutative rings and their applications By Gilberto Bini, Flaminio Flamini The theorem is on Page 24).

My specific problem is as follows:
We are given a monic polynomial [tex]h_m(x)\in \mathbb{Z}_{p^m}[x][/tex] irreducible over [tex]\mathbb{Z}_{p^m}[/tex] such that [tex]h_m(x)|x^k-1[/tex] in [tex]\mathbb{Z}_{p^m}[x][/tex]. The theorem calls for constructing a unique, irreducible monic polynomial [tex]h_{m+1}(x)\in \mathbb{Z}_{p^{m+1}}[x][/tex] which divides [tex]x^k-1[/tex] in [tex]\mathbb{Z}_{p^{m+1}}[x][/tex].

The proof in the book runs as follows:
By Hensel's Lemma, (something already proved) the proof starts off with taking a polynomial [tex]h(x)\in \mathbb{Z}_{p^{m+1}}[x][/tex] of the form [tex]h(x)=h_m(x)+p^mg(x)[/tex]. It then let's [tex]\alpha[/tex] be a root of [tex]h_m(x)[/tex] and [tex]\beta[/tex] a corresponding root of [tex]h(x)[/tex] of the form [tex]\beta=\alpha+p^m\delta[/tex]. Then it states that [tex]\alpha^k=1+p^m\epsilon[/tex], since [tex]h_m(x)[/tex] divides [tex]x^k-1[/tex] in [tex]\mathbb{Z}_{p^m}[x][/tex].

I have no problems uptil this point in the proof

Moreover [tex]\beta^p=(\alpha+p^m\delta)^p=\alpha^p[/tex] and [tex]\beta^{kp}=(\alpha+p^m\delta)^{kp}=(1+p^m\epsilon)^p=1[/tex]. (Here the book doesn't say so but I assume that the equalitites hold modulo [tex]p^{m+1}[/tex])

My major problem is with the next two lines (Underlined portion specially):

Hence the monic polynomial, whose roots are the p-th powers of the roots of [tex]h(x)[/tex], divides [tex]x^k-1[/tex] and these roots coincide modulo [tex]p^m[/tex] with those of [tex]h_m(x)[/tex].

I don't understand what the monic polynomial referred to is? If it is the polynomial with roots all of the type [tex]\beta^p[/tex] how come [tex]\beta^p\equiv \alpha(mod p^m)[/tex]. This equivalence of roots of the monic polynomial and of [tex]h_m(x)[/tex] is very crucial as the next line also seems to be related to it

This polynomial is the required polynomial [tex]h_{m+1}(x)\in \mathbb{Z}_{p^{m+1}}[x][/tex]; in fact it is irreducible, by construction.

For the life of me I can't understand why this polynomial is irreducible.

The proof then goes on to establish the uniqueness of such an [tex]h_{m+1}(x)[/tex].

I'll be very extremely grateful if someone points me in the right direction. Thank you for your time (all those who have read the whole post).

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Didn't Hensel's lemma say h was monic?

Have you pondered what would happen if if h was reducible?

1. What is an irreducible polynomial in Z_{p^(m+1)}?

An irreducible polynomial in Z_{p^(m+1)} is a polynomial that cannot be factored into polynomials of lower degree with coefficients in the field Z_{p^(m+1)}, where p is a prime number and m is a positive integer. In other words, it is a polynomial that cannot be broken down into simpler factors.

2. Why is it important to construct an irreducible polynomial in Z_{p^(m+1)}?

Constructing an irreducible polynomial in Z_{p^(m+1)} is important because it allows us to create finite fields of size p^(m+1). These finite fields have many applications in mathematics, computer science, and engineering.

3. How do you construct an irreducible polynomial in Z_{p^(m+1)}?

To construct an irreducible polynomial in Z_{p^(m+1)}, we can use the Berlekamp’s algorithm, which is an efficient algorithm for finding irreducible polynomials over finite fields. This algorithm involves finding primitive polynomials and using them to construct other irreducible polynomials.

4. Can an irreducible polynomial in Z_{p^(m+1)} have multiple roots?

No, an irreducible polynomial in Z_{p^(m+1)} cannot have multiple roots. This is because finite fields do not have enough elements to support multiple roots. In other words, each element in the finite field must have a unique inverse, and multiple roots would violate this property.

5. Are all irreducible polynomials in Z_{p^(m+1)} of the same degree?

No, not all irreducible polynomials in Z_{p^(m+1)} have the same degree. The degree of an irreducible polynomial depends on the size of the finite field, which is determined by p and m. For example, if p = 2 and m = 3, the finite field will have 8 elements, and the irreducible polynomials can have degrees 1, 2, 3, or 6.