Register to reply

Lennard-Jones Potential V(r) (Condensed Matter)

Share this thread:
Lavace
Aug6-09, 06:10 PM
P: 62
http://www.ph.qmul.ac.uk/phy108/CM20...%20Forces2.pdf
Page 6, I've understood all of the notes so far. But it just randomly goes into this, what/where did these p's and q's come from? What do they mean?

Can't find anything that I can understand online!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA team lays plans to observe new worlds
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
Spinach could lead to alternative energy more powerful than Popeye
Redbelly98
Aug6-09, 10:11 PM
Mentor
P: 12,064
It is found (experimentally, I think) that the potential between atoms or ions has the behavior given by the 1st equation on page 6, where p and q are integer exponents in that expression. That's pretty much it, they are just the exponents that describe the potential. For two neutral, inert gas atoms, p=12 & q=6 describes the potential. For an ion + neutral atom, p and q will be something else. For two oppositely charged ions, we know that q=1 because of the inverse-square-law for charged particles.

Hope that helps.

Register to reply