Register to reply

Human gravity

by smokering0
Tags: gravity, human
Share this thread:
smokering0
Aug18-09, 03:42 PM
P: 1
This question came to me as having an obvious answer yet I dont know. If a human is floating in space they bend spacetime themselves and could technically have small stuff orbit them. Sorry for the dumb question; just been bothering me.
thanks for any help
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
On-chip topological light: First measurements of transmission and delay
A two-stage trap for single protons leads to measurement of their magnetic properties
Unexpected phenomenon discovered at the surface of a transition metal oxide material
Tac-Tics
Aug18-09, 04:18 PM
P: 810
It's all about magnitudes. Just because something is definite and measurable doesn't mean it matters in the long run. I can spit in the ocean all day, but the water will never rise because of it.
Redbelly98
Aug18-09, 09:17 PM
Mentor
P: 12,068
Quote Quote by smokering0 View Post
This question came to me as having an obvious answer yet I dont know. If a human is floating in space they bend spacetime themselves and could technically have small stuff orbit them. Sorry for the dumb question; just been bothering me.
thanks for any help
Yes, theoretically that is true.

Quiz question for you: imagine an object (mass M) orbiting a person (mass 80 kg) in a 10m radius orbit. How far from the Earth must the person be, so that the Earth's gravitational pull on the object is 1/10 that of the person's gravitational pull on the object?

Use Newton's law of gravitation,
Fgrav = G Ma Mb / d2

Register to reply