human gravity

by smokering0
Tags: gravity, human
smokering0
Aug18-09, 03:42 PM
P: 1
This question came to me as having an obvious answer yet I dont know. If a human is floating in space they bend spacetime themselves and could technically have small stuff orbit them. Sorry for the dumb question; just been bothering me.
thanks for any help
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
Tac-Tics
Aug18-09, 04:18 PM
P: 810
It's all about magnitudes. Just because something is definite and measurable doesn't mean it matters in the long run. I can spit in the ocean all day, but the water will never rise because of it.
Redbelly98
Aug18-09, 09:17 PM
Mentor
P: 11,989
Quote Quote by smokering0 View Post
This question came to me as having an obvious answer yet I dont know. If a human is floating in space they bend spacetime themselves and could technically have small stuff orbit them. Sorry for the dumb question; just been bothering me.
thanks for any help
Yes, theoretically that is true.

Quiz question for you: imagine an object (mass M) orbiting a person (mass 80 kg) in a 10m radius orbit. How far from the Earth must the person be, so that the Earth's gravitational pull on the object is 1/10 that of the person's gravitational pull on the object?

Use Newton's law of gravitation,
Fgrav = G Ma Mb / d2

Register to reply