Quantum uncertainty on macroscopic scale

In summary, the conversation discusses the lack of quantum probabilistic behavior in macroscopic objects and possible explanations such as the wavelength of electrons and decoherence. The concept of coherence and its relation to quantum particles is also mentioned. Overall, it is suggested that a better understanding of quantum particles is necessary before considering their behavior in larger systems.
litewave
I don't quite understand why macroscopic objects we encounter in everyday life don't exhibit quantum probabilistic behavior. For example, the car standing in front of my house has a definite position and definite boundaries rather than being dissolved in some cloud where it's not clear whether it stands in front of my house or on the other side of the street.

I have heard that the reason is because the quantum wave lengths of particles are very small relative to the size of macroscopic objects. If this is true, how large is the wave length of an electron? Doesn't the wave spread out across all universe? Or is the probability of the electron's position distributed in such a way that significant probabilities are concentrated in a very small area, perhaps a fraction of a milimeter, while the rest of the wave has negligible probabilities?

Another reason I have heard is decoherence - that quantum waves are somehow suppressed because of interactions of particles. I'm not sure this answers my question though, because it is claimed that decoherence has been avoided for example in superconductors, but still I suppose that a macroscopic piece of superconductor has a definite position and boundaries and is not jumping unpredictably from one corner of the laboratory to another?

Physics news on Phys.org
"Decoherence" is indeed the key word you're looking for. There's a technical way of describing how particles go from obeying "quantum statistics" to "classical statistics" that can occur when they are interacting in large numbers. The word "coherence" shows up in any wave dynamics; e.g. a laser involves chromatically coherent light waves, while a light bulb involves a chromatically incoherent spectrum. In the quantum context, the coherence/decoherence refers to the probability waves. Light is wave-like because it is a coherent system of photons (in the quantum sense). In your example of getting coherent systems of electrons in matter, it is not the atoms of matter that are in a coherent state, just the electrons. Therefore, the electrical signals can follow quantum rules (which is important in quantum computer research) while the material the electrons are traveling through remains classical.

litewave said:
For example, the car standing in front of my house has a definite position and definite boundaries rather than being dissolved in some cloud...

Well that's pushing the definition a bit. There isn't much about the car that is definite, and it certainly acts like a cloud rather than a bunch of point particles. If it didn't, you wouldn't be able to see it or touch it. A car is nearly a perfect vacuum, as is nearly everything on the planet. (Of course, this is in relative terms.) If you could see the center of gravity of the car, however, that would be relatively stable as the individual movement of the constituent atoms would tend to cancel out.

So the point is that you should probably start with a better understanding of quantum particles before you consider what they will look like when you think about groups of them. In many situations their dynamics will tend to cancel out, while in other areas their dynamics creates reinforcement and discernible patterns.

1. What is quantum uncertainty on a macroscopic scale?

Quantum uncertainty on a macroscopic scale refers to the unpredictability of the behavior and properties of large objects, such as everyday objects, when observed at a quantum level. This is due to the inherent probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics.

2. How does quantum uncertainty manifest on a macroscopic scale?

Quantum uncertainty can manifest in various ways on a macroscopic scale, such as in the form of random fluctuations, uncertainty in position and momentum of particles, and the ability of particles to be in multiple states at the same time.

3. Can quantum uncertainty be observed in everyday life?

Yes, quantum uncertainty can be observed in everyday life, although it may not be noticeable to the human eye. For example, in electronic devices, the behavior of electrons is governed by quantum mechanics and their exact position and momentum cannot be determined with certainty.

4. How does quantum uncertainty impact our understanding of the physical world?

Quantum uncertainty challenges our traditional understanding of the physical world and the deterministic nature of classical physics. It suggests that the universe is inherently probabilistic and that our ability to predict and control the behavior of objects is limited.

5. Is there a way to overcome quantum uncertainty on a macroscopic scale?

Currently, there is no known way to completely overcome quantum uncertainty on a macroscopic scale. However, scientists are constantly researching and developing new theories and technologies to better understand and possibly control quantum systems at a larger scale.