Capacitance of two plates written in terms of height of liquid dielectric

by mikebai1990
Tags: capacitance, dielectric, height, liquid, plates, terms
Share this thread:
mikebai1990
Sep27-09, 07:44 PM
P: 1
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A liquid-level transducer consists of two parallel plates of conductor immersed in an insulating liquid. When the tank is empty the capacitance of the plates is 200pF. The relative dielectric constant of the liquid is 25. Determine an expression for the capacitance C as a function of the height x of the liquid.

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand the equation and how to use the dielectric constant. However, I'm not sure how to incorporate the combination of the part immersed in the liquid, and the part which isn't. Furthermore, when I try to plug known variables into the equation for the starting condition (no liquid), I have two unknowns--the width and the distance between the plates. How do I approach this problem?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Sapphire talk enlivens guesswork over iPhone 6
Geneticists offer clues to better rice, tomato crops
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
vk6kro
Oct5-09, 08:03 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 4,016
You can make reasonable assumptions here.
If you pick a width for the plate and make it 2 cm....
You know the height of the plates and the capacitance in air, so you can work out the spacing.

Also, you know the capacitance in air per cm of height of the sensor, so you can add the capacitance of the uncovered height of the sensor after you have worked out the capacitance of the covered section.
pseudophonist
Oct9-09, 07:05 AM
P: 48
Treat it as two capacitors in parallel, each with area as a function of x and different dielectrics.

yoyoyeoh90
Sep28-11, 02:01 AM
P: 3
Capacitance of two plates written in terms of height of liquid dielectric

may i know about the equation?
and can anyone explain the equation? thank you...
NascentOxygen
Sep28-11, 03:21 AM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,146
The equation for capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor. It involves plate area, plate spacing, the permittivity of the dielectric, and a few constants.
rude man
Sep28-11, 05:19 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 4,757
You don't need to worry about plate spacing or width, or the formula for an ideal capacitor's capacitance with fringe effects ignored, etc. etc. They don't matter and you should not be using eirther W or d in your computation. You need L, and C(x=0) = 200 pF, and the relative dielectric coeff. of 25, is all.

Register to reply