Orbital angular momentum problem

by noblegas
Tags: angular, momentum, orbital
Share this thread:
noblegas
Oct18-09, 11:31 PM
P: 386
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a particle that moves in three dimensions with wave function [tex] \varphi[/tex] . Use operator methods to show that if [tex]\varphi[/tex] has total angular momentm quantum number l=0 , then [tex]\varphi[/tex] satifies

[tex] L\varphi=0[/tex]

for all three components [tex]L_\alpha[/tex] of the total angular momentum L
2. Relevant equations

[tex] [L^2,L_\alpha][/tex]?

[tex] L^2=L_x^2+L_y^2+L_z^2 [/tex]?

[tex] L^2=\hbar*l(l+1)[/tex] , l=0,1/2,1,3/2,... ?

[tex] L_z=m\hbar[/tex] , m=-l, -l+1,...,l-1,l. ?
3. The attempt at a solution

[tex] [L^2,L_\alpha]=[L_x^2+L_y^2+L_z^2,L_\alpha]=[L_x^2,L_\alpha]+[L_y^2,L_\alpha]+[L_z^2,L_\alpha][/tex]. [tex][AB,C]=A[B,C]+[A,C]B[/tex]; Therefore,[tex] [L_x^2,L_\alpha]+[L_y^2,L_\alpha]+[L_z^2,L_\alpha]=L_x[L_x,L_\alpha]+[L_x,L_\alpha]L_x+L_y[L_y,L_\alpha]+[L_y,L_\alpha]L_y+L_z[L_z,L_\alpha]+[L_z,L_\alpha]L_z[/tex]. Now what?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
noblegas
Oct19-09, 04:34 PM
People having a hard time reading the problem?
gabbagabbahey
Oct19-09, 04:40 PM
HW Helper
P: 5,004
Do you not already know [itex][L^2,L_x][/itex], [itex][L^2,L_y][/itex] and [itex][L^2,L_z][/itex]?

If so, just calculate [itex][L^2,L_x]\varphi[/itex], [itex][L^2,L_y]\varphi[/itex] and [itex][L^2,L_z]\varphi[/itex] and use the fact that [itex]L^2\varphi=l(l+1)\varphi=0[/itex] for [itex]l=0[/itex].

Avodyne
Oct19-09, 08:50 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,190
Orbital angular momentum problem

I don't understand gabbagabbahey's method. I would (using bra-ket notation) define three states [itex]|\psi_i\rangle = L_i|\phi\rangle[/itex], [itex]i=x,y,z[/itex], and then compute [itex]\sum_{i}\langle\psi_i|\psi_i\rangle[/itex].
noblegas
Oct19-09, 09:25 PM
Quote Quote by gabbagabbahey View Post
Do you not already know [itex][L^2,L_x][/itex], [itex][L^2,L_y][/itex] and [itex][L^2,L_z][/itex]?

If so, just calculate [itex][L^2,L_x]\varphi[/itex], [itex][L^2,L_y]\varphi[/itex] and [itex][L^2,L_z]\varphi[/itex] and use the fact that [itex]L^2\varphi=l(l+1)\varphi=0[/itex] for [itex]l=0[/itex].
Yes I calculated those commutators [tex][L^2,L_x]\varphi=(L_y*i\hbar*L_z)+(i*\hbar*L_z)(L_y)+L_z(i*\hbar*L_y)+(i*\hbar*L _y)L_z,[L^2,L_y]= L_x(i*\hbar*L_z)+(i*\hbar*L_z)L_y+L_z(i*\hbar*L_x)+(i*\hbar*L_x) +(i*\hbar*L_x)L_z, [L^2,L_z]=L_x(i*\hbar*L_y)+(i*\hbar*L_y)(L_x)+L_y(i*\hbar*L_x)+(i*\hbar*L_x)L_y [/tex], The comutators simply expand more and do not simplify . at [tex] l=0, l(l+1)\varphi=0[/tex]

Please look at my latex for the expression [tex][L^2,L_z][/tex] PF is not completely showing the solution to this expression for some reason. Now is it readable
gabbagabbahey
Oct19-09, 09:34 PM
HW Helper
What you've just written is completely unreadable....How do you expect others to be able to help you, if you don't take the time to make sure they can read what you are posting?

Begin by calculating the commutator [itex][L^2,L_x][/itex]....use the "go advanced" and "preview post" buttons to make sure whatever you write is actually readable, before submitting your post.
noblegas
Oct19-09, 09:44 PM
[tex]
[L^2,L_x]\varphi=(L_y*i\hbar*L_z)+(i*\hbar*L_z)(L_y)+L_z(i* \hbar*L_y)+(i*\hbar*L_y)L_z,[L^2,L_y]= L_x(i*\hbar*L_z)+(i*\hbar*L_z)L_y+L_z(i*\hbar*L_x) +(i*\hbar*L_x) +(i*\hbar*L_x)L_z, [L^2,L_z]=L_x(i*\hbar*L_y)+(i*\hbar*L_y)(L_x)+L_y(i*\hbar*L _x)+(i*\hbar*L_x)L_y
[/tex] Now is it readable? [tex][L^2,L_z]=L_x(i*\hbar*L_y)+(i*\hbar*L_y)(L_x)+L_y(i*\hbar*L _x)+(i*\hbar*L_x)L_y[/tex]
gabbagabbahey
Oct19-09, 09:49 PM
HW Helper
I still can't make heads or tails of what you've written....When you read a textbook or article, or even someone else's posts here....do they lay things out in a jumbled mess like that?
noblegas
Oct19-09, 10:38 PM
I still can't make heads or tails of what you've written....When you read a textbook or article, or even someone else's posts here....do they lay things out in a jumbled mess like that?
I will seperate my commutators into seperate latex code and aligned the commutators vertically. Maybe it should then be easier for you to read:

[tex][L^2,L_x]\varphi=(L_y*i\hbar*L_z)+(i*\hbar*L_z)(L_y)+L_z(i* \hbar*L_y)+(i*\hbar*L_y)L_z[/tex]
[tex][L^2,L_y]\varphi= L_x(i*\hbar*L_z)+(i*\hbar*L_z)L_y+L_z(i*\hbar*L_x) +(i*\hbar*L_x) +(i*\hbar*L_x)L_z[/tex]
[tex][L^2,L_z]\varphi=L_x(i*\hbar*L_y)+(i*\hbar*L_y)(L_x)+L_y(i*\hbar*L _x)+(i*\hbar*L_x)L_y[/tex],
at[tex]l=0, l(l+1)\varphi=0[/tex]
gabbagabbahey
Oct19-09, 10:44 PM
HW Helper
That's a little easier to read (Although I really wish you'd stop using that ugly [itex]*[/itex] symbol for multiplication). Why do you have a [itex]\varphi[/itex] on the LHS of each equation? And, you are missing some negative signs on the RHS....why don't you show me your steps for calculating [itex][L^2,L_x][/itex]?
noblegas
Oct19-09, 11:07 PM
That's a little easier to read (Although I really wish you'd stop using that ugly [itex]*[/itex] symbol for multiplication). Why do you have a [itex]\varphi[/itex] on the LHS of each equation? And, you are missing some negative signs on the RHS....why don't you show me your steps for calculating [itex][L^2,L_x][/itex]?
okay.[tex] [L^2,L_x]=[L_x^2+L_y^2+L_z^2,L_x]=[L_x^2,L_x]+[L_y^2,L_x]+[L_z^2,L_z][/tex]

[tex][L_x^2,L_x]+[L_y^2,L_x]+[L_z^2,L_x]=[L_y^2,L_x]+[L_z^2,L_x][/tex]

[tex][L_y^2,L_x]+[L_z^2,L_z]=L_y[L_y,L_x]+[L_y,L_x]L_y+L_z[L_z,L_x]+[L_z,L_x][L_z][/tex]

[tex] [L_y,L_x]=i*\hbar*L_z, [L_z,L_x]=i*\hbar*L_y[/tex], therefore

[tex]L_y[L_y,L_x]+[L_y,L_x]L_y+L_z[L_z,L_x]+[L_z,L_x][L_z]=i*L_y(\hbar*L_z),+i*\hbar*L_z*L_y+i*L_z*(\hbar*L_y)+i(\hbar*L_y)*L_z[/tex] .How did you get a negative term? (Sorry, if I don't used the [tex] * [/tex] symbol, latex will read the i's and L's as a subscript rather than a coeffcient
gabbagabbahey
Oct20-09, 01:26 AM
HW Helper
[itex][L_y,L_x]=-[L_x,L_y]=-i\hbar L_z[/itex]
noblegas
Oct20-09, 06:18 AM
My calculations showed that [tex] [L^2,L_z]=0,[L^2,L_y]=0,[L^2,L_x]=0[/tex], now what?
gabbagabbahey
Oct20-09, 07:00 AM
HW Helper
Now, by definition what is [itex][L^2,L_x]\varphi[/itex]?...compare that to what you've just calculated....
noblegas
Oct20-09, 07:09 AM
Now, by definition what is [itex][L^2,L_x]\varphi[/itex]?...compare that to what you've just calculated....
since[tex][L^2,L_x]=0[/tex],then[tex][L^2,L_x]\varphi=0\varphi=0[/tex]?
gabbagabbahey
Oct20-09, 07:24 AM
HW Helper
If I asked you the definition of [itex][A,B]\varphi[/itex], you would say [itex](AB-BA)\varphi[/itex], right?

So, when I say "by definition what is [itex][L^2,L_x]\varphi[/itex]?", you say ____?
noblegas
Oct20-09, 07:51 AM
If I asked you the definition of [itex][A,B]\varphi[/itex], you would say [itex](AB-BA)\varphi[/itex], right?

So, when I say "by definition what is [itex][L^2,L_x]\varphi[/itex]?", you say ____?
yes thats right. [tex][L^2,L_x]=(L^2L_x-L_xL^2)\varphi[/tex], should I let [tex]L_x=(\hbar/i)*d/dx[/tex] and [tex] L=(\hbar/i)*d/dx+(\hbar/i)*d/dy+(\hbar/i)*d/dz[/tex] and let [tex] (-\hbar/i)*d/dx+(-\hbar/i)*d/dy+(-\hbar/i)*d/dz[/tex]
gabbagabbahey
Oct20-09, 08:05 AM
HW Helper
No need for all that, by definition you have [itex][L^2,L_x]\varphi=(L^2L_x-L_xL^2)\varphi[/itex], and you also just calculated that this was equal to zero, so

[tex][L^2,L_x]\varphi=(L^2L_x-L_xL^2)\varphi=L^2L_x\varphi-L_xL^2\varphi=0[/tex]

Now, express [itex]\varphi[/itex] as a linear combination of the eigenfunctions [itex]\psi_l[/itex] of [itex]L^2[/itex], and use the fact that [itex]L^2\psi_l=l(l+1)\psi_l=0[/itex] for [itex]l=0[/itex] to show that [itex]L_xL^2\varphi=0[/itex]

Register to reply