Can the Operator n dot L Have the Same Eigenvalues as Lz in Quantum Mechanics?

In summary, the eigenvalues of the operator ##\hat n \cdot \hat {\vec L}## are the same as the eigenvalues of any component of ##\hat {\vec L}##, which is helpful in solving equations.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I've been told that the operator ##\hat n \cdot \hat {\vec L}## has the same eigenvalues as ##L_z##. Later I've been told that it has the same eigenvalues as any component of ##\hat {\vec L}##. But I am a bit confused, as far as I understand the eigenvalues of ##L_x##, ##L_y## and ##L_z## cannot be the same at the same time. Hmm now that I think about it, if ##L_z## has eigenvalues ##\hbar m##, then both ##L_x## and ##L_y## have no eigenvalues? This is impossible... I am missing something.
I ask this because I found a problem that more or less states that if ##|l,m>## is an eigenvector of both ##\hat L## and ##\hat L_z##, then find the coefficients ##c_i## in function of ##\theta## and ##\phi## such that ##|\psi>=c_1 |1,1>+c_0 |1,0>+c_{-1}|1,-1>## is an eigenvector of ##\hat n \cdot \hat {\vec L}##.

Homework Equations

##\hat A \psi =\lambda \psi##.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I know a way how to tackle the problem. I'd write ##\hat n =\cos \phi \sin \theta \hat i + \cos \phi \cos \theta \hat j + \cos \theta \hat k##. Then write ##\hat {\vec L}=L_x \hat i + L_y \hat j + L_z \hat k##. Then write ##L_x## and ##L_y## in terms of ##L_{\pm}## because I know how they act on ##|1,m>##
With all this in mind I could write the left side of the following equation: ##(\hat n \cdot \hat {\vec L}) |\psi >= \lambda |\psi>##.
What I did not know is that apparently I could take ##\lambda = 0##, ##\hbar## or ##-\hbar##.

Physics news on Phys.org
No body said they have the same eigenvalues at the same time. they have the same set of eigenvalues but at anyone given time they may have different eigenvalues taken from the common set Lx and Ly always have eigenvalues which may sometimes be zero. Having a zero eigenvalue is not the same thing as having no eigenvalue. Even when Lz is m at least one of Lx and Ly must have a non-zero eigenvalue (except if the particle's spin is zero).

Likes 1 person
Ah ok I see now. Thank you.

I still don't understand why ##\hat n \cdot \hat {\vec L}## and ##\hat L_z## share the same eigenvalues.
It's not like ##\hat n## is arbitrary since it must satisfy that ##(\hat n \cdot \hat {\vec L}) |\psi >= \lambda |\psi>## and I can't just assume that ##\hat n = \hat z## for instance.

dauto said:
No body said they have the same eigenvalues at the same time.

Sure they do! :smile:

[itex]L_z[/itex] and [itex]L_x[/itex] are just operators, they have the same eigenvalues no matter what time of day it is. Indeed, they have the same set of eigenvalues as each other - to claim otherwise would be to claim that God prefers the [itex]x[/itex]-direction to the [itex]z[/itex]-direction, or maybe vice-versa.

Probably what you mean is that a given state vector can't be both an eigenstate of [itex]L_z[/itex] and of [itex]L_x[/itex]. (?)

fluidistic said:
Ah ok I see now. Thank you.

I still don't understand why ##\hat n \cdot \hat {\vec L}## and ##\hat L_z## share the same eigenvalues.
It's not like ##\hat n## is arbitrary since it must satisfy that ##(\hat n \cdot \hat {\vec L}) |\psi >= \lambda |\psi>## and I can't just assume that ##\hat n = \hat z## for instance.

I think your confusion lies in the fact that ##\hat n \cdot \hat {\vec L}## and ##\hat L_z## always have different eigenvectors as long as ##\hat n \neq \pm \hat z##. You need to solve for the eigenvalues/eigenvectors in the different cases, and it turns out that they do always have the same eigenvalues, even though the eigenvectors are different for a given basis. The reason this makes sense is because your choice of a basis (which direction ##\hat{z}## points in) is arbitrary; you could consider another coordinate system (and basis for spin states) where ##\hat{n} = \hat{z}## and you should get the same eigenvalues.

Likes 1 person
Take a rotation that puts the [itex]z[/itex] axis of an arbitrary Cartesian basis to the unit vector [itex]\vec{n}[/itex]. This is represented by a unitary tranformation in the Hilbert space of states and thus, [itex]\hat{J}_z[/itex] and [itex]\vec{n} \cdot \hat{\vec{J}}[/itex] has the same eigenvalues. The eigenstates of the latter operator are given by the unitary transformation of the eigenstates of the former. It's a good exercise to write this down in formulas!

Likes 1 person

1. What are eigenvalues in quantum mechanics?

Eigenvalues in quantum mechanics are the possible values that a physical quantity, such as energy or angular momentum, can take on for a given system. They are obtained by solving the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum systems.

2. How are eigenvalues related to the Hamiltonian operator?

The Hamiltonian operator, denoted by H, represents the total energy of a quantum system. Its eigenvalues correspond to the possible values of energy that the system can have. This means that when the Hamiltonian operator acts on an eigenstate, it yields the corresponding eigenvalue as a result.

3. What is the significance of eigenvalues in quantum mechanics?

Eigenvalues are important in quantum mechanics because they represent the observable physical quantities of a system. They provide information about the allowed energy levels and the probabilities of different outcomes when measurements are made on the system.

4. How do eigenvalues of n dot L relate to angular momentum in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, angular momentum is described by the operator L. The eigenvalues of n dot L represent the possible values of the projection of angular momentum onto a specific direction, denoted by n. This quantity is conserved in a system, meaning its value does not change over time.

5. Can eigenvalues of n dot L have complex values?

Yes, eigenvalues of n dot L can have complex values. This is because the mathematical solutions to the Schrödinger equation, which yields the eigenvalues, can be complex numbers. However, in physical systems, the eigenvalues are typically real numbers as they correspond to observable quantities.