Finding coefficient of friction and angle of incline

by trecton22
Tags: angle, coefficient, friction, incline
trecton22
Oct25-09, 08:52 PM
P: 2
I need to find the coefficient of friction and the angle of an incline with only knowing a distance of 18.0 meters and a time of 10.0 seconds. I have absolutely no idea where to begin because my teacher never taught us how to do such equations. if anyone can figure the problem out for me that would be awesome of you. thanks a lot!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
hage567
Oct25-09, 10:02 PM
HW Helper
P: 1,542
Quote Quote by trecton22 View Post
I need to find the coefficient of friction and the angle of an incline with only knowing a distance of 18.0 meters and a time of 10.0 seconds.
Is this exactly how the problem was given to you?
I have absolutely no idea where to begin because my teacher never taught us how to do such equations.
Perhaps the point is to have you go learn it yourself. Do you have a textbook?
if anyone can figure the problem out for me that would be awesome of you. thanks a lot!
No one here will just hand you a solution, but we will help you. Do you know how to draw a free body diagram? Do you know Newton's second law? Kinematics equations? What have you learned so far?
nothingknower
Oct25-09, 10:55 PM
P: 1
I have the same problem, but just with different numbers, mine being 12.0m and 8.00s.

My question is whether or not I have to find acceleration.

Also, should I be assuming for one and then solving for the other? I mean, we are given no other forces so they must not have any importance.

Nevermind, got it. Acceleration is just m/s and then you just use any weight (I used 10 kg) in order to figure out the forces, which are variables.

trecton22
Oct26-09, 08:43 AM
P: 2

Finding coefficient of friction and angle of incline

nothingknower did you just assume for the angle?

Register to reply