What is the coefficient of friction in this inclined plane problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two bodies with different masses connected by a string and rolling over an incline. The goal is to calculate the coefficient of friction and the tension force when the system is in motion. The given answers are mu=0.2 and T=11 N. The conversation also mentions a force of friction that is causing the system to not move when T=10 N. The solution involves calculating the acceleration and considering the forces acting on m2. The final value for mu is 0.34.
nemo11

Homework Statement

Two bodies with mass m1 and m2 are tied together with an inexstensible and massless string rolled over a massless pulley put at the top of the incline with angle 30 . m2=5 kg which is on the incline is blocked and T=10 N . m2 is let loose and the system starts moving freely. The distance traveled in the first second is d=0.5 m . Calculate: coefficient of friction , T when the system is moving .
The answers given are : mu=0.2 and T=11 N. [/B]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I find a=1 m/s
But what confuses me is the given T=10 N when the system is not moving.
m2gsinθ =5*10*0.5=25 N
So there is another force acting in the direction of T so that the system is not moving. Is that force the force of friction ?
Or how can I calculate the coefficient of friction?
I am confused.
What I get for mu is 0.34 .

Physics news on Phys.org
##T_i=10\,N## and ##a_i=0## when system not move.
When system rolling, ##a_1=a_2##
Now you can see the forces to ##m_2##.

I've solved it . Thank you !

1. How does an inclined plane make work easier?

An inclined plane is a flat surface that is raised on one end. It allows a heavy object to be moved up or down with less force compared to lifting the object straight up. This is because the weight of the object is spread out over a longer distance, reducing the force needed to move it.

2. What is the formula for calculating the mechanical advantage of an inclined plane?

The formula for calculating the mechanical advantage of an inclined plane is MA = length of inclined plane/height of inclined plane. This means that the longer the inclined plane, the greater the mechanical advantage.

3. What factors affect the efficiency of an inclined plane?

The efficiency of an inclined plane is affected by the angle of incline and the coefficient of friction. A smaller angle of incline and lower coefficient of friction result in a more efficient inclined plane.

4. How does the length of an inclined plane affect its mechanical advantage?

The longer the inclined plane, the greater the mechanical advantage. This is because the length of the inclined plane increases the distance over which the force is applied, reducing the amount of force needed to move an object.

5. What are some common examples of inclined planes in everyday life?

Inclined planes are commonly used in ramps, stairs, and slides. They can also be found in simple machines such as screws, wedges, and axes. Inclined planes are also used in construction, such as in the form of scaffolding, to make it easier to move heavy materials to higher levels.