Similar matrices = Same Eigenvalues (NO DETERMINANTS!)

by brru25
Tags: determinants, eigenvalues, equivalence relation, rank, similar matrices
brru25
Oct26-09, 10:07 PM
P: 29
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that two similar matrices A and B share the same determinants, WITHOUT using determinants

2. The attempt at a solution

A previous part of this problem not listed was to show they have the same rank, which I was able to do without determinants. The problem is I can't think of how to show they have the same eigenvalues without going to the characteristic polynomial (derived from the determinant of |A-lamba*I|. My other idea was to think of both A and B as the same linear map with respect to a different basis. After that I draw a blank.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Lemurs match scent of a friend to sound of her voice
Repeated self-healing now possible in composite materials
'Heartbleed' fix may slow Web performance
lanedance
Oct26-09, 11:01 PM
HW Helper
P: 3,309
so as an idea, could you start with the simlarity definition
[tex] B = P^{-1}AP [/tex]

now multiply by an eigenvector u, of B, if you have a play with the action of P hopefully you could show Pu_i must be an eigenvector of A with same eigenvalue, thus showing the eigenvalues are the same
Mark44
Oct27-09, 12:47 AM
Mentor
P: 20,933
I'm confused. Do you want to show that two similar matrices have the same eigenvalues (as in the title of this thread) or the same determinant?

lanedance
Oct27-09, 01:22 AM
HW Helper

Similar matrices = Same Eigenvalues (NO DETERMINANTS!)

though as the determinant can be written as the product of the eigenvalues, showing the eigenvalues would be sufficient

though as another option and i think what Mark is hinting at, is you could just take the determinant of the similarity equation & use the properties of determinants with matrix multiplication & inverses... though that might be liimted by the no determinants clause
Mark44
Oct27-09, 12:31 PM
Mentor
No, I wasn't actually hinting at that, but it seems like a good idea. I can't think of how you would show that two matrices have the same determinant without using the determinant in some way. Could it be that the intent of the problem is to show that two similar matrices have the same determinant without calculating the determinant?
brru25
Oct27-09, 03:12 PM
Quote Quote by Mark44 View Post
No, I wasn't actually hinting at that, but it seems like a good idea. I can't think of how you would show that two matrices have the same determinant without using the determinant in some way. Could it be that the intent of the problem is to show that two similar matrices have the same determinant without calculating the determinant?
Yea I was thinking the same thing about showing they have the same determinant, because I would think that would be enough.
Mark44
Oct27-09, 03:43 PM
Mentor
If A and B are similar matrices, then there is an invertible matrix P such that B = P-1AP. |P-1| = 1/|P|, and since P is invertible, its determinant is nonzero.
brru25
Oct27-09, 04:13 PM
If A and B are similar matrices, then there is an invertible matrix P such that B = P-1AP. |P-1| = 1/|P|, and since P is invertible, its determinant is nonzero.
Only problem is a determinant is being used in the proof which isn't allowed.
Mark44
Oct27-09, 04:44 PM
Mentor
Which gets me back to my earlier question: How can you show that two matrices have the same determinant if you can't use a determinant?
brru25
Oct27-09, 05:11 PM
Which gets me back to my earlier question: How can you show that two matrices have the same determinant if you can't use a determinant?
I agree completely. For now I can use the |P-1| = 1/|P|. Concept. A second opinion basically said the same things we were saying so that will have to be my route. Thank you for your help.
HallsofIvy
Oct28-09, 06:42 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 38,877
Is it possible that the original problem was mistated?

Since "show that they share the same determinant without using determinants makes no sense I think it is likely the original problem was "Show that two similar matrices A and B share the same eigenvalues, WITHOUT using determinants".

(Especially since the title of this thread is "Similar matrices= same eigenvalues"!)
brru25
Oct28-09, 09:12 AM
Quote Quote by HallsofIvy View Post
Is it possible that the original problem was mistated?

Since "show that they share the same determinant without using determinants makes no sense I think it is likely the original problem was "Show that two similar matrices A and B share the same eigenvalues, WITHOUT using determinants".

(Especially since the title of this thread is "Similar matrices= same eigenvalues"!)
Yea you're right. We were just trying to think of different approaches to the problem.
lanedance
Oct28-09, 09:16 AM
HW Helper
well if that is the case, refer the first reply (post #2)
http://www.physicsforums.com/showpos...00&postcount=2

Register to reply