Similar matrices and main diagonal summation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between similar matrices and the summation of diagonal elements. It also introduces the concept of trace of a matrix and how it relates to the characteristic polynomial and eigenvalues. The trace of a product of matrices is also discussed.
zjohnson19

Homework Statement

True or False? If A is an n × n matrix, P is an n × n invertible matrix, and B = P −1AP, then
a11 + a22 + . . . + ann = b11 + b22 + . . . + bn

Homework Equations

Diagnolization, similar matrixes

The Attempt at a Solution

the question is asking if the summation of the main diagnols of A and B are the same. B is known to be similar to A since B = P^-1 AP. I can't find a counterexample, so I am assuming the summation of the diagnols of both are in fact equal, but this is hardly a proof. I know A and B share the same determinant, rank, and eigenvalues and rank, but I'm not sure how these relate to the main diagnol of the matrices.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with the concept of trace of a matrix?

Last edited:
The key is that A and B have the same characteristic polynomial. The sum of elements on the main diagonal (called the trace of the matrix) is the first-order coefficient of the characteristic polynomial. To prove that you can either use induction or start with the first order Vieta formula and prove that the trace equals the sum of the eigenvalues.

The trace of a matrix ##A## is the sum of the diagonal elements, namely ##\textrm{Tr }A = \sum_{i=1}^n A_{ii}##. This means the trace of a product of two matrices will be ##\textrm{Tr }AB = \sum_{i=1}^n \sum_{j=1}^n A_{ij}B_{ji}##.

Since you have a product of three matrices, the the trace reads
$$
\textrm{Tr }ABC = \sum_{i=1}^n \sum_{j=1}^n (AB)_{ij}C_{ji}
$$
Now write ##(AB)_{ij}## in terms of the sum of products between the elements of ##A## and ##B##.

What are similar matrices?

Similar matrices are matrices that have the same size and shape, and can be transformed into each other through a series of elementary row and column operations.

How do you determine if two matrices are similar?

Two matrices are similar if they have the same eigenvalues, determinant, and trace. This means that they have the same characteristic polynomial, and thus the same transformation properties.

What is the main diagonal of a matrix?

The main diagonal of a matrix is the set of elements that run from the upper left corner to the lower right corner. It separates the entries of the matrix into two groups, those above the diagonal and those below.

What is the main diagonal summation of a matrix?

The main diagonal summation of a matrix is the sum of the elements on the main diagonal. It is also known as the trace of the matrix.

Why is the main diagonal summation important in matrix calculations?

The main diagonal summation is important because it is an invariant property of similar matrices. This means that the summation remains the same even after the matrix has undergone transformations. It is also used to calculate the determinant and eigenvalues of a matrix.