Synthesis of Cholesterol Nonanoate

by ~Sam~
Tags: cholesterol, nonanoate, synthesis
Share this thread:
~Sam~
Oct28-09, 01:14 AM
P: 75
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A reaction of nonanoyl chloride with cholesterol to form cholesterol nonanoate, pyridine is also used in the reaction.

1.If a student starts with 0.2543 g of cholesterol, 1.4 mL of pyridine, and 0.14 g of nonanoyl chloride, what would be the theoretical yield of cholesteryl nonanoate?

2.At the end of the experiment, the student isolates 0.2254 g of cholesteryl nonanoate. What is the percent yield for this studentís synthesis?

2. Relevant equations

C9H17ClO + C27H46O -----(C5H5N) -----> C36H62O2 + C5H6NCl- (I believe that is the balance equation, any confirmation?

We are also given:
nonanoyl chloride M.W. = 176.7 g/mol
cholesterol M.W. = 386.6 g/mol
cholesteryl nonanoate M.W. = 527.2 g/mol

3. The attempt at a solution

I might have the solution but I'm not sure. First I believe that they all react with a ratio of 1mol, Using the balanced equation which says that ideally 1 mole of each of the three react together, it shows that C27H46O is the limiting substance as there it least of this. Therefore 1 mole cholesterol makes 1 mole of cholesteryl nonanoate, so 386g of cholesterol makes 526 g of cholesteryl nonanoate, so 0.2543g of cholersterol makes (526/386) x 0.2543 = 0.3465 g of cholesteryl nonanoate, which is the theoretical yield.

For 2) is it just % yield = (0.2254/theoretical yield) x 100
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
Borek
Oct28-09, 03:40 AM
Admin
P: 23,392
Approach seems to be OK, but I have just skimmed. I haven't checked numbers.

--

Register to reply