Theoretical Yield of CaCO3: Calculate & Round

In summary, 2.07 grams of calcium chloride dihydrate reacts with excess sodium carbonate according to the balanced chemical reaction shown below. The theoretical yield of calcium carbonate is 229.73 grams.
aquablue8

Homework Statement

What is the theoretical yield of calcium carbonate if 2.07 grams of calcium chloride dihydrate reacts with excess sodium carbonate according to the balanced chemical reaction shown below?

Homework Equations

Please use molar mass values calculated and rounded to the hundreths place, and round your answer to the hundredths place.

CaCl2•2H2O(aq)+Na2CO3(aq)→CaCO3(aq)+2NaCl(aq)+2H2O(l)

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the molar mass of CaCl2, which is 110.98, then I divided it by 2.07 g of CaCl2 which is the actual?? Am I way off track? That got me 229.73g CaCl2?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
aquablue8 said:
I got the molar mass of CaCl2, which is 110.98, then I divided it by 2.07 g of CaCl2 which is the actual?? Am I way off track? That got me 229.73g CaCl2?

While calculating molar mass you ignored fact that you deal with dihydrate, and your answer refers to calcium chloride, while question asks about carbonate. I guess the latter is just a typo.

I do not understand what you mean. Where did I go wrong in lay-woman's terms? lol!

On the second read I see you confused much more than I saw earlier.

Let's start from the very beginning. What does it mean "dihydrate"?

Two hydrations?

Oops. What is hydrate?

To add 2 hydrogen bonds by dehydration synthesis?

Umm, I am really lost now!

Okay, so two hydrogen bonds hydrated the solution??

Here is what I have attempted: 2.07gCaCl2 x 1 mol Ca/40.08g Ca x 2 mol Cl/2 mol Ca x 70.9g Cl2/ 1 mol Cl2 = 3.62 g CaCl2

No.

Hydrate means when substance crystallizes it crystallizes with water, and there is a stoichiometric ratio of water to the substance. In this particular case you are told it is dihydrate, which means its formula is CaCl2.2H2O - you have even written it this way (correctly) in your first post. That means you need to accommodate for the water presence when calculating molar mass of the substance.

aquablue8 said:
Here is what I have attempted: 2.07gCaCl2 x 1 mol Ca/40.08g Ca x 2 mol Cl/2 mol Ca x 70.9g Cl2/ 1 mol Cl2 = 3.62 g CaCl2

As explained at CF - 2 does not equal 3.

Thank you for your help!

1. What is the theoretical yield of CaCO3?

The theoretical yield of CaCO3 is the maximum amount of CaCO3 that can be produced in a chemical reaction, assuming complete conversion of reactants and no loss of product.

2. How do you calculate the theoretical yield of CaCO3?

To calculate the theoretical yield of CaCO3, you will need to know the balanced chemical equation for the reaction and the amount (in moles) of the limiting reactant. Multiply the moles of the limiting reactant by the molar ratio of CaCO3 to that reactant, as indicated by the balanced equation.

3. Should the theoretical yield of CaCO3 be rounded?

Yes, the theoretical yield of CaCO3 should be rounded to the appropriate number of significant figures based on the precision of the given data. This will ensure that the calculated value is not overly precise or misleading.

4. What factors can affect the theoretical yield of CaCO3?

Some factors that can affect the theoretical yield of CaCO3 include the purity of the reactants, the reaction conditions (such as temperature and pressure), and the presence of any side reactions or competing reactions.

5. What is the significance of the theoretical yield of CaCO3?

The theoretical yield of CaCO3 is important because it provides a standard to compare the actual yield of CaCO3 obtained in the reaction. It also helps in determining the efficiency of the reaction and identifying any sources of error or ways to improve the yield.