Cone: solid or surface?

by Rasalhague
Tags: cone, solid, surface
Rasalhague is offline
Nov2-09, 01:45 PM
P: 1,400
Does the word cone more correctly refer to a surface (like the word sphere), or a solid (like the word ball); and if it refers to the surface, what would the solid be called?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
tiny-tim is offline
Nov2-09, 04:15 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
tiny-tim's Avatar
P: 26,167
Hi Rasalhague!

You could aask the same question about "sphere", or "square"

when we refer to a sphere, do we mean the surface, or the volume?

In all cases, the same name is used for both.

(ok, "ball" is unambiguous, but most people say "sphere" anyway)

The context usually makes it clear which is intended.

In the case of "cone", it nearly always refers to the surface.
Rasalhague is offline
Nov2-09, 08:13 PM
P: 1,400
Thanks, tiny-tim, I guess I'll just have to live with ambiguity!

Register to reply

Related Discussions
Surface Integration of a Cone (Sloped Surface) Calculus & Beyond Homework 3
surface area of a cone Calculus & Beyond Homework 3
flux through surface of half a cone Introductory Physics Homework 2
centre of mass of a solid cone Calculus & Beyond Homework 6
A solid surface model of the sun. General Physics 1