Intersection of a few surfaces

In summary, the intersection of a cone, sphere, and plane can result in a circle, a pair of straight lines, or more complex shapes such as conic sections or intersections with Platonic solids. Software such as Geogebra and Sketchup can be used to visualize these intersections, but students should also develop their own powers of abstraction and visualization. To determine the direction of a unit vector at a point on the Earth's surface, the cross product of the unit vectors ##\hat e_r## and ##\hat e_{\theta}## can be used to find the direction of ##\hat e_{\phi}## pointing east.
brotherbobby
Summary:: Describe what the intersection of the following surfaces - one on one - would look like? Cone, sphere and plane.

My answers :

(1) A cone intersects a sphere forming a circle.

(2) A sphere intersects a plane forming a circle.

(3) A plane intersects a cone forming (a pair of?) straight lines.

Are these correct?

I wish we could have a 3-D tool to visualise.
Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
brotherbobby said:
I wish we could have a 3-D tool to visualise. Any suggestions?
A pencil

Likes kuruman and fresh_42
We can't visualise 3-D figures on paper. A software would be ideal.

brotherbobby said:
We can't visualise 3-D figures on paper. A software would be ideal.
Oh, we can! At least since the last 33,000 years:
intings_from_the_Chauvet_cave_%28museum_replica%29.jpg

(Wikipedia)

You may want to look up perspective painting and conic sections.

Btw.: The answer to your question is no. And here is your software.

brotherbobby said:
We can't visualise 3-D figures on paper. A software would be ideal
You mean a program to https://all3dp.com/1/best-free-3d-printing-software-3d-printer-program/ ? Still difficult to meaningfully visualize the intersections :frown:

Something on the computer will do. I am trying to understand how, for a point on the Earth's surface, the (unit) vector ##\hat e_r## points in a direction vertically upwards, ##\hat e_{\theta}## points along the south at that point and ##\hat e_{\phi}## points along the east. I have used a program to do something of the kind which I paste below.

1611504795602.png

I can get the directions of directions of ##\hat e_r## and ##\hat e_{\theta}##. It is ##\hat e_{\phi}## pointing to the east that am strugging with.

Likes BvU
On a serious note: I am really impressed by nowadays means to visualize things and to support the didactic process with software. But to get anywhere, students should at some point also train their own powers of abstraction and skills of visually rendering.

Perhaps you'll like Sketchup (Google) or SketchBook (AutoCad) ?

These are very specific planes and by no means generic: leave the equatorial plane, move the tangential plane inwards.

brotherbobby said:
(1) A cone intersects a sphere forming a circle.
(3) A plane intersects a cone forming (a pair of?) straight lines.
There are more (and far more interesting) options for these.

brotherbobby said:
Something on the computer will do. I am trying to understand how, for a point on the Earth's surface, the (unit) vector ##\hat e_r## points in a direction vertically upwards, ##\hat e_{\theta}## points along the south at that point and ##\hat e_{\phi}## points along the east. I have used a program to do something of the kind which I paste below.

[snip]

I can get the directions of directions of ##\hat e_r## and ##\hat e_{\theta}##. It is ##\hat e_{\phi}## pointing to the east that am strugging with.

GeoGebra is great!

This visualization I made might help
https://www.geogebra.org/m/sjzxecxm
1611604738318.png

To get ##\hat e_{\phi}## , use the cross product of ##\hat e_r## and ##\hat e_{\theta}##.

Likes BvU
Thank you. I can "see" how ##\hat e_{\phi}## is directed to the "east" at the point in question. I was trying to imagine myself sitting at the center of the sphere and looking at the point and struggling.

brotherbobby said:
Thank you. I can "see" how ##\hat e_{\phi}## is directed to the "east" at the point in question. I was trying to imagine myself sitting at the center of the sphere and looking at the point and struggling.
Plane and sphere is easy, since you can always find a coordinate system such that the plane is parallel to the equatorial plane. It's the other two which weren't correct.

Plane and cone intersections have been investigated since Euclid's days by people who didn't even have pencils as such. These intersections are known as conic sections.

Last edited:
If you care for a real challenge, try a plane intersecting Platonic solids.

1. What is the intersection of a few surfaces?

The intersection of a few surfaces refers to the points where two or more surfaces meet or overlap with each other.

2. How is the intersection of surfaces calculated?

The intersection of surfaces is calculated by finding the common points between the equations that represent each surface. This can be done algebraically or graphically.

3. Can the intersection of surfaces be a single point?

Yes, the intersection of surfaces can be a single point if the surfaces are parallel or do not intersect at any other point. This is known as a point of tangency.

4. What does it mean if the intersection of surfaces is empty?

If the intersection of surfaces is empty, it means that the surfaces do not intersect at any point. This could be because the surfaces are parallel or do not share any common points.

5. How is the intersection of surfaces used in real life?

The intersection of surfaces is used in various fields such as engineering, computer graphics, and physics to solve problems related to geometry and spatial relationships. It is also used in computer-aided design (CAD) to create 3D models of objects.