Finding Mass of Solute

by Sayuri09
Tags: density, mass, solute, solution, volume
Share this thread:
Sayuri09
Nov4-09, 12:58 AM
P: 5
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
I'm doing an experiment for Science Fair, and one of the parts requires that I know the mass of a solute (NaCl) dissolved in a solvent (water). Is there any equation I can use to find this? I cannot use concentration, but I have the total mass of the solution, the total volume of the solution, and the molar mass of the solute (NaCl). I can also calculate the total density of the solution, so let's add that, as well.

2. Relevant equations
For the solute:
Mass = Molarity x Molar Mass x Volume

3. The attempt at a solution
Using the equation above, I've tried to plug in different variables in the place of variables I didn't know up-front.

Mass = Molarity x Molar Mass x Volume
Mass = (Moles / Volume) x Molar Mass x Volume
Mass = ((Mass / Molar Mass) / Volume) x Molar Mass x Volume
Mass = ((Mass / Molar Mass) / (Mass / Density)) x Molar Mass x (Mass / Density)

Of course, simplifying all of this cancels Mass, what I was trying to find in the first place, which makes me wonder why I even did all of that substitution for nothing.

I'm thinking there's a different, better way to do this, probably a different equation. But, also, because I am doing this within an experiment, any hands-on method would work, too (just something feasible, please?).

Thanks in advance!!!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
Borek
Nov4-09, 02:32 AM
Admin
P: 23,393
Basically you can't do anything without knowing more. You can use density tables to check out concentration.

--
methods

Register to reply