Homework Help: Calculating Mass from Chemical Reaction Equations

In summary, when balancing the equations for 1a) S8 + 8O2 -> 8SO2 and 1b) 2SO2 + O2 -> 2SO3, the required amount of Sulphur (S8) is 1.172x10^4 mol and the molar mass is 256 g/mol. For 1a), this equates to 3.0 tonnes of S8, while for 1b), it is 7.5 tonnes of S8. The molar mass of SO3 is 80 g/mol and the molar mass of SO2 is 64 g/mol.
Kiah Palmer
Homework Statement
1. a) The first step in the production of sulphuric acid consists of burning sulphur to produce sulphur (IV) oxide. What’s the mass of sulphur required to produce 6.0 t of sulphur (IV) oxide?

b) A reaction is then brought about between sulphur (IV) oxide and oxygen in the presence of a catalyst to form sulphur (VI) oxide. What’s the mass of sulphur (VI) oxide produced from 6.0 t of sulphur (IV) oxide?
Relevant Equations
The unbalanced equations below will help you with questions

S8 + O2 -> SO2
SO2 + O2 -> SO3
1a) Step 1: Balance the equation - S8 + O2 -> SO2 = S8 + 8O2 -> 8SO2
Conversion (t to g) 6.00 t = 6x10^6 g
Molar mass SO2 = 23 + (2 x 16) = 64 g/mol
6x10^6 g / 64 g/mol = 9.375x10^4 mol SO2
reqired amount Sulphur = 9.375x10^4 mol / 8 mol = 1.172x10^4 mol S8
Molar mass S8 = (8 x 32) g/mol = 256 g/mol

256 g/mol x (1.172x10^4) mol = 3.0x10^6g S8 = 3.0 t S8

1b) Step 1: Balance the equation - SO2 + O2 -> SO3 = 2SO2 + O2 -> 2SO3
Molar mass SO3 = 32 + (3 x 16) = 80 g/mol
Molar Mass SO2 = 32 + (2 x 16) = 64 g/mol
(80 g/mol) / (64 g/mol) = 1.25 g/mol x 6.0x10^6 = 7.5 x 10^6 g = 7.5 tNOTE: I am pretty sure that 1a) is correct, however, it is the last part of question 1b) that I am having a bit of difficulty with. I have tried looking it up, however, the answers I am finding aren't making much sense either. Thank you in advance for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Both answers look OK.

Borek said:
Both answers look OK.
Thanks! I actually also sent it to my teacher as well through messages and she said the same. I had sent it here just in case she didn't have a chance to respond. :)

Calculation done with grams, not tonnes, but it is a ratio that matters.

sulfur_oxidation.png

great! thanks!

What is the purpose of calculating mass from chemical reaction equations?

The purpose of calculating mass from chemical reaction equations is to determine the amount of each reactant and product present in a chemical reaction. This information is important for understanding the efficiency of a reaction and predicting the amount of product that will be produced.

How do you calculate mass from chemical reaction equations?

To calculate mass from chemical reaction equations, you first need to balance the equation to ensure that the number of atoms of each element is the same on both sides. Then, you can use the molar mass of each element and the coefficients in the balanced equation to calculate the mass of each reactant and product.

What is the significance of the coefficients in a balanced chemical reaction equation?

The coefficients in a balanced chemical reaction equation represent the mole ratio between the reactants and products. This means that for every one mole of a reactant that is consumed, a certain number of moles of product will be produced. These coefficients are essential for calculating the mass of each substance in a reaction.

What are some common units of measurement used for mass in chemical reactions?

Some common units of measurement used for mass in chemical reactions include grams (g), kilograms (kg), and moles (mol). The unit used will depend on the specific calculation being performed and the amount of substance involved.

Why is it important to double-check your calculations when calculating mass from chemical reaction equations?

It is important to double-check your calculations when calculating mass from chemical reaction equations to ensure accuracy. Small errors in calculations can lead to significant differences in the final result, which can affect the outcome of the reaction. Double-checking also helps to identify any mistakes that may have been made during the calculation process.