Limit change of variable legality?

In summary, the conversation revolves around determining a limit involving Legendre Polynomials. The attempt at a solution involves the use of L'Hospital's rule and a substitution of u=-x. The legality of this substitution is also discussed.
Pengwuino
Gold Member

Homework Statement

[tex]
\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x - > 1} \ln (1 - x)(P_{l - 1} (x) - xP_l (x)) - \mathop {\lim }\limits_{x - > - 1} \ln (1 + x)(P_{l - 1} (x) - xP_l (x))[/tex]

where [tex]P_{l}[/tex] are the Legendre Polynomials.

Homework Equations

Legendre polynomial recursion relations I suppose

The Attempt at a Solution

So in trying to determine this limit. L'Hospitals rule doesn't come up with anything useful seemingly. However, would it be mathematically legal to switch the limit of the right side to x-> 1 and switch out every x for -x? I can't seem to figure out this limit. If this were legal, I think I could determine this limit for l = 0 using this idea but for an arbitrary l I don't think this would work. Anyone got any tips? :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Basically you want to make the substitution u= -x. I think as long as the substitution is a continuous (perhaps monotonic as well?) function then the limit is still valid. In other words, yea it'll work.

Hmmm ok. I suppose the only problem now is making the substitution into the Legendre Polynomials which I think I can do to turn it all into 1 limit that subtracts away the logarithms that blow up on me.

1. What is the purpose of the limit change of variable in scientific research?

The limit change of variable is used to simplify complex mathematical equations by substituting a variable with another variable that makes the equation easier to solve or manipulate. This technique is commonly used in calculus and other fields of science to find solutions to problems that would otherwise be difficult to solve.

2. How do you determine if a limit change of variable is legal?

A limit change of variable is considered legal if the substituted variable is a continuous function and the limit of the original function exists and is finite. The substituted variable should also not be equal to the limit variable. It is also important to check for any restrictions on the original function and make sure they are also applied to the substituted variable.

3. Can a limit change of variable affect the final result of a scientific experiment?

In most cases, a limit change of variable does not affect the final result of a scientific experiment. However, in some cases, it can lead to a different result if the substituted variable is not chosen carefully or if the original function has any restrictions or discontinuities that were not accounted for in the substitution.

4. Are there any limitations to using the limit change of variable method?

One limitation of using the limit change of variable method is that it can only be used for continuous functions. If the original function is not continuous, the substitution may not be valid. Additionally, the substituted variable should also be a continuous function to ensure the validity of the limit change of variable.

5. What are some examples of how the limit change of variable is used in scientific research?

The limit change of variable is commonly used in calculus to solve integrals, derivatives, and other mathematical problems. It is also used in physics, chemistry, and other fields of science to simplify complex equations and find solutions to problems. For example, in thermodynamics, the substitution of variables is often used to convert between different units of measurement.