Coefficient of a polynomial defined by Legendre polynomial

In summary, the polynomial of order ##(l-1)##, ## W_{l-1}(x) ##, can be defined as the sum of the products of Legendre polynomials of first kind, ## P_m(x) ##, with coefficients ## \frac{1}{m} ## and ## P_{l-m}(x) ##. It can also be written in binomial form as ## \sum_{n=0}^{l-1} a_n \cdot x^n ##. To find the coefficient ## a_n ##, one must use the binomial form of ## P_m(x) ## and count the number of terms in both expressions for ## W_{l-1}(x) ##. The
duc

Homework Statement

The polynomial of order ##(l-1)## denoted ## W_{l-1}(x) ## is defined by
## W_{l-1}(x) = \sum_{m=1}^{l} \frac{1}{m} P_{m-1}(x) P_{l-m}(x) ## where ## P_m(x) ## is the Legendre polynomial of first kind. In addition, one can also write
## W_{l-1}(x) = \sum_{n=0}^{l-1} a_n \cdot x^n ##

Find the coefficient ## a_n ## in terms of ## n ## and ## l ##.

2. The attempt at a solution
I think the binomial form of ## P_m(x) ## would help
## P_m(x) = 2^m \cdot \sum_{k=0}^{m} C^{k}_{m} C^{\frac{m+k-1}{2}}_{m} x^k ##, with ## C^{k}_{m} = \frac{m!}{k!(m-k)!} ##. The next thing is to know "how to count" the number of terms in both expressions of ##W_{l-1}(x)##. This is where I stuck at.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've found the solution which is of the following form

## a_n = \sum_{m=1}^{l} \frac{1}{m} \sum_{i=0}^{n} a_i^{(m-1)} a_{n-i}^{(l-m)} ##

where a_i^(m-1) is the coefficient corresponding to the power ## x^i ## of the polynomial ## P_{m-1}(x) ## (the same convention for ## P_{l-m}(x) ##).

1. What is the coefficient of a polynomial defined by Legendre polynomial?

The coefficient of a polynomial defined by Legendre polynomial is the numerical value that is multiplied by a variable raised to a certain power in the polynomial. It represents the weight or importance of that term in the overall polynomial.

2. How is the coefficient of a polynomial calculated using Legendre polynomial?

The coefficient of a polynomial can be calculated using Legendre polynomial by first expanding the polynomial into its individual terms and then multiplying each term by the corresponding Legendre polynomial coefficient.

3. What is the significance of the coefficient of a polynomial defined by Legendre polynomial?

The coefficient of a polynomial defined by Legendre polynomial is important because it determines the shape and behavior of the polynomial. It can also provide information about the roots and extrema of the polynomial.

4. Can the coefficient of a polynomial defined by Legendre polynomial be negative?

Yes, the coefficient of a polynomial defined by Legendre polynomial can be negative. This indicates that the corresponding term in the polynomial has a negative weight or importance.

5. How does the degree of a polynomial affect its coefficient defined by Legendre polynomial?

The degree of a polynomial does not directly affect its coefficient defined by Legendre polynomial. However, as the degree of a polynomial increases, the number of coefficients also increases, making the polynomial more complex.