Find Equation of Plane Containing Point & Line

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equation of a plane that contains a given point and line. One method is to use the point-normal equation, while another is to use the cross product of two direction vectors. The concept of "passing through" and "containing" points is also discussed.
iamsmooth

Homework Statement

Find the equation of the plane which contains the point (3,2,-3) and the line: (x,y,z) = (7,-4,5) + t (0,-2,2)

Homework Equations

Point-Normal equation?
a(x-x0)+b(y-y0)+c(z-z0) = 0

Not sure if this is related.

The Attempt at a Solution

First off:

The line (xyz) should be (7,-4,5) + t (0,-2,2) which becomes (7, -4-2t, 5 +7t). And then yea...

I'm behind :(. I've been sick for the past 2 weeks and I don't understand my friends' notes. So I'm not asking for any of you to solve this for me, but if someone could point me in the right direction and help me on interpreting the question, then that would be great.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

You can use the normal equation once you find a normal. You've got one direction vector which is parallel to the plane which is the direction vector to the line. Find another one by taking the difference between your point and any point on the line. Then use the cross product.

Or- just take two different values of t to find two different points on the line. You now have three points in the plane. You know how to find the plane containing three given points, don't you?

HallsofIvy said:
Or- just take two different values of t to find two different points on the line. You now have three points in the plane. You know how to find the plane containing three given points, don't you?

Do I use
ax + by + cz + d = 0
to get the equation of each point and solve for the system of equations?

Is there a difference between "passing through the points" and "contains the points" in terms of planes?

iamsmooth said:
Do I use
ax + by + cz + d = 0

Is there a difference between "passing through the points" and "contains the points" in terms of planes?

If you don't know how to find the equation of a line using three points, why don't you just try to find a normal? You seemed to be ok with that.

iamsmooth said:
Do I use
ax + by + cz + d = 0
That is certainly one possible way to do it. Notice that you get three equations to solve for four coefficients but that is okay: any multiple of the equation of the plane is also an equation of the plane. You can take anyone of a, b, c, or d to be 1, say.

But the way most people learn to find the plane containing three given points is to determine the vectors from one of the points to the other two and take the cross product of those- which leads back to the method Dick is suggesting.

I don't know why but, geometrically, I tend to think of a line as "passing through" points and a plane as "containing" points! No, there is no difference at all.

1. What is the equation of a plane containing a given point and line?

The equation of a plane can be written in the form Ax + By + Cz = D, where A, B, and C are the coefficients of the x, y, and z variables respectively, and D is a constant. To find the equation of a plane containing a given point and line, you will need to use the point-slope form of a line and the point-normal form of a plane.

2. How do I find the normal vector of a plane containing a point and line?

The normal vector of a plane is a vector that is perpendicular to the plane. To find the normal vector of a plane containing a point and line, you can use the cross product of the direction vector of the line and a vector connecting the given point to a point on the line. The resulting vector will be the normal vector of the plane.

3. Can I find the equation of a plane with just one given point?

No, in order to find the equation of a plane, you will need at least three points. This is because a plane is a two-dimensional surface, and three points are needed to uniquely define a plane.

4. How do I know if a point is on a plane?

A point is considered to be on a plane if it satisfies the equation of the plane. In other words, if the coordinates of the point can be substituted into the equation of the plane and result in a true statement, then the point is on the plane.

5. Can I use this method to find the equation of a plane in three-dimensional space?

Yes, this method can be used to find the equation of a plane in three-dimensional space. The only difference is that the equation of the plane will have three variables (x, y, and z) instead of just two. The method remains the same, however, using the point-slope form of a line and the point-normal form of a plane.