Finding line where two planes intersect

• Thread starter ChiralSuperfields
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line Planes
In summary: In vector form, the above is ##L = \begin{bmatrix} \frac 3 7 \\ \frac 1 7 \\ 1 \end{bmatrix}t + \begin{bmatrix} 3 \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}##. To find the points on this line, you would need to go out 3 units on the x-axis and then go in the direction of (3t/7, t/7, t).
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
For this problem,
1682916672512.png

The solution is,
1682916718595.png

However, I could not get that. By getting the system in REF, I got ##x = 3 + \frac{3}{7}z ## and ##y = \frac{1}{7}z##. Therefore z is a free variable so ##x = 3 + \frac{3}{7}t = 0## and ##y = \frac{1}{7}t##.

Thus equation of line is ##x\hat i + y\hat j + z\hat k = 3\hat i + (\frac{3}{7}\hat i + \frac{1}{7}\hat j)t##

Does anybody please know what I did wrong here?

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ChiralSuperfields said:
Homework Statement: Please see below
Relevant Equations: Please see below

By getting the system in REF, I got x=3+37z=0 and y=17z.
You are right to get
[tex]x=3+\frac{3}{7}z[/tex]
but why do you make it zero ?

Likes ChiralSuperfields
anuttarasammyak said:
You are right to get
[tex]x=3+\frac{3}{7}z[/tex]
but why do you make it zero ?
Thank you for your reply @anuttarasammyak !

Sorry my mistake. That was not meant to be set to zero.

Many thanks!

ChiralSuperfields said:
Homework Statement: Please see below
Relevant Equations: Please see below

For this problem,
View attachment 325740
The solution is,
View attachment 325741
However, I could not get that. By getting the system in REF, I got ##x = 3 + \frac{3}{7}z ## and ##y = \frac{1}{7}z##. Therefore z is a free variable so ##x = 3 + \frac{3}{7}t = 0## and ##y = \frac{1}{7}t##.
I got the same thing but took it one step further, with z = t. So the equation of the line of intersection is ##L = (\frac 3 7 t + 3)\hat i + \frac 1 7 t \hat j + t \hat k##.

In vector form, the above is ##L = \begin{bmatrix} \frac 3 7 \\ \frac 1 7 \\ 1 \end{bmatrix}t + \begin{bmatrix} 3 \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}##

Geometrically, to get points on this line, go out 3 units on the x-axis, and then go off in the direction of <3t/7, t/7, t>.
ChiralSuperfields said:
Thus equation of line is ##x\hat i + y\hat j + z\hat k = 3\hat i + (\frac{3}{7}\hat i + \frac{1}{7}\hat j)t##
Your equation doesn't follow from your work that preceded it.

Likes ChiralSuperfields

1. What is the definition of a plane?

A plane is a flat, two-dimensional surface that extends infinitely in all directions. In geometry, a plane is represented by a flat shape with four straight edges and four corners.

2. How do you find the equation of a plane?

To find the equation of a plane, you need to know three things: a point on the plane, and two direction vectors. The equation of a plane can be written in the form Ax + By + Cz = D, where A, B, and C are the coefficients of the direction vectors, and D is a constant.

3. What is the condition for two planes to intersect?

Two planes intersect if they are not parallel, meaning they do not have the same normal vector. This means that their direction vectors are not multiples of each other.

4. How do you find the point of intersection between two planes?

To find the point of intersection between two planes, you can set the equations of the two planes equal to each other and solve for the values of x, y, and z. These values will give you the coordinates of the point where the two planes intersect.

5. Can two planes intersect at more than one point?

No, two planes can only intersect at one point. If two planes intersect at more than one point, they would be considered the same plane. This is because a plane is defined by three non-collinear points, and any additional points would be redundant.